Want to learn how to find more competitive insurance rates in Fillmore, CA? I doubt anyone loves paying for insurance, especially when they could get a better deal.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that nearly 70% of customers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and almost half have never even shopped around for lower-cost coverage. Fillmore consumers can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they think it's difficult to compare rates online. Many insurers compete to insure your vehicles, so it can be very hard to choose a provider to find the absolute lowest rate on insurance.
It's smart to shop coverage around before your next renewal because rates trend upward over time. Even if you got the best premium rates on insurance at your last renewal a different company probably has better prices today. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because we're going to demonstrate one of the quickest ways to find better coverage on insurance at a better price.
Shop auto insurance online
The companies shown below offer free quotes in California. To buy cheap car insurance in California, it's a good idea that you compare several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,454||$727||$121|
|Chevrolet Malibu LS||$1,334||$667||$111|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$1,124||$562||$94|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SE||$1,154||$577||$96|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$1,660||$830||$138|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Ford Explorer Limited 2WD||$1,378||$689||$115|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$1,486||$743||$124|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,974||$987||$165|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,896||$948||$158|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$2,088||$1,044||$174|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,486||$743||$124|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD||$1,436||$718||$120|
|Kia Optima EX||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,366||$683||$114|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,672||$836||$139|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,202||$601||$100|
|Toyota RAV4 Sport 4WD||$1,722||$861||$144|
|Volkswagen Jetta S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Information does not factor in specific garaging location which can raise or lower premiums greatly.
Violations and accidents raise rates
The illustration below shows how traffic citations and at-fault collisions raise Honda Civic premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The premiums assume a single female driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Six discounts for lower Fillmore insurance rates
Insurance is expensive, but you might already qualify for some discounts to help offset the cost. Some of these discounts will be visible when you complete an application, but a few need to be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit.
- Clubs and Organizations - Participating in qualifying clubs or civic groups may earn a discount on insurance.
- Multi-line Discount - If the company offers life insurance, you could get a small discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Keeping the miles down could be rewarded with slightly better premium rates than normal.
- Use Seat Belts - Drivers who require all occupants to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Policy Bundle Discount - When you have multiple policies and insure them both with the same insurance company they may give you a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Early Signing - Some larger companies provide a discount for switching policies prior to the expiration date on your current policy. You may see this discount when you get Fillmore car insurance quotes online.
As a sidenote, most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
For a list of insurance companies offering insurance discounts in California, click here.
Car insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high insurance cost in Fillmore, car insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your car. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly for liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $700 annually so compare quotes from several companies at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Car insurance coverage information
Learning about specific coverages of car insurance can be of help when determining appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Listed below are typical coverages offered by car insurance companies.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) - Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for immediate expenses for things like prosthetic devices, funeral costs, EMT expenses, nursing services and surgery. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers both the driver and occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision coverages - Collision insurance covers damage to your vehicle caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as colliding with a tree, hitting a mailbox, sideswiping another vehicle and backing into a parked car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive insurance - Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like damage from getting keyed, theft, fire damage and damage from flooding. The maximum amount you'll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle's value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) - This protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (15/30/5 in California), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Liability - This provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other's property or people in an accident. This coverage protects you from claims by other people. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show policy limits of 15/30/5 that translate to a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, $30,000 for the entire accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged propery. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage pays for things like bail bonds, loss of income and emergency aid. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. California requires drivers to carry at least 15/30/5 but you should consider buying higher limits.
Smart shoppers get results
As you prepare to switch companies, it's a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to regret they didn't have enough coverage. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best cost while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we covered many ideas to get a better price on car insurance in Fillmore. It's most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding the cheapest Fillmore car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies. These smaller insurers may only write in your state and offer lower auto insurance rates as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Much more information about car insurance in California is located below:
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Garden Grove, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Highlander? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance Quotes for Low Credit Scores? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for College Students in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Altima? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance for Drivers with a DUI? (FAQ)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Determining Your Vehicle's Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)