Has it been a year or more since you last compared quotes for low-cost auto insurance rates in Costa Mesa, CA? If you are a novice to online auto insurance shopping, you can easily be confused by the vast assortment of companies that all say they have the best rates.
A recent auto insurance study discovered that the vast majority of auto insurance customers have bought auto insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never even compared rates from other companies. Many drivers in California can save hundreds of dollars each year just by shopping around, but they don't believe the amount of money they would save if they switch to a new company.
Consumers should take time to do price comparisons at least once a year because auto insurance rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. If you had the best deal on auto insurance at your last renewal you may be paying too much now. There is a lot of wrong information about auto insurance online, but in just a couple of minutes you can learn some good information on how to lower your auto insurance bill.
Save money by taking advantage of discounts
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there's a good chance there are discounts that may help make it more affordable. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you purchase, but occasionally some discounts must be manually applied before you will receive the discount.
- First Accident Forgiveness - This isn't a discount exactly, but a handful of insurance companies will let one accident slide before raising your premiums if you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Pay Early and Save - If you can afford to pay the entire bill instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Insuring more than one vehicle with one company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Theft Prevention System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are less likely to be stolen and earn discounts up to 10% off your Costa Mesa car insurance quote.
- Professional Memberships - Affiliation with a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
Discounts lower rates, but most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, that's just not realistic.
The best car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are:
- Progressive has savings for good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-policy, and online signing.
- AAA may include discounts for pay-in-full, multi-policy, good student, education and occupation, anti-theft, and multi-car.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for mature driver, homeowner, electronic funds transfer, good student, distant student, pay in full, and youthful driver.
- GEICO discounts include multi-vehicle, military active duty, federal employee, seat belt use, anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights, and membership and employees.
- Esurance offers premium reductions for homeowner, DriveSense, renters, good driver, anti-lock brakes, paid-in-full, and defensive driver.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for anti-theft, safe driver, anti-lock brakes, drive less, multi-car, and homeowner.
- State Farm offers discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, and multiple autos.
Before purchasing a policy, check with all the companies how you can save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available in Costa Mesa. For a list of companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in California, click here.
Which car insurance is cheapest in Costa Mesa, California?
Most of the larger companies allow you to get prices online. Doing online quotes is fairly straightforward as you simply type in your required coverages on the page. When the form is submitted, their rating system automatically orders reports for credit and driving violations and generates a price.
Being able to quote online simplifies rate comparisons, and it's absolutely necessary to perform this step if you want to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
In order to compare rates using this form now, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you input the coverage information exactly as they are listed on your policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will have a rate comparison for exact coverage.
The auto insurance companies shown below offer comparison quotes in Costa Mesa, CA. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you get prices from several of them to get the lowest price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$2,022||$1,011||$169|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$1,436||$718||$120|
|Ford Edge Limited 2WD||$1,526||$763||$127|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,228||$614||$102|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,206||$603||$101|
|Ford Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,592||$796||$133|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,750||$875||$146|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,532||$766||$128|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$1,714||$857||$143|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,226||$613||$102|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,978||$989||$165|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,690||$845||$141|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 2WD||$1,172||$586||$98|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,916||$958||$160|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Estimates do not factor in specific location information which can affect rates noticeably.
An analysis of deductible level
The example below demonstrates how choosing different deductibles and can impact Nissan Altima insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The data is based on a single female driver, full coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Lower the price of car insurance with these tips
When buying car insurance it's important to understand the factors that are used to determine your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this enables you to make decisions that can help you get lower rates.
The following are just a few of the factors used by companies to determine your prices.
- Vehicle features impact prices - Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all help stop car theft and help bring rates down.
- Experienced drivers are lower risk - Inexperience drivers tend to be careless and easily distracted with other occupants in the car and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. More experienced drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and usually have better credit.
- Save by driving safer cars - Safer cars cost less to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and fewer serious injuries means your insurance company pays less and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Too many car insurance claims will drive prices up - Car insurance companies in California generally give most affordable rates to people who only file infrequent claims. If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for claims that pose a financial burden.
- Driving citations inflate rates - A bad driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Drivers who don't get tickets have lower premiums as compared to those with violations. Only having one speeding ticket could increase your next policy renewal to the point where it's not affordable. Drivers unfortunate enough to have license-revoking violations such as DUI or willful reckless driving may need to prove financial responsibility with their state motor vehicle department in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Occupation stress can make you pay more - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Careers such as judges, architects and emergency personnel tend to pay higher premiums than the average policyholder because of stressful work requirements and long work hours. On the other hand, careers such as scientists, students and the unemployed have lower than average premiums.
- Do you need those extra policy coverages? - Insurance companies have many additional coverages you can purchase if you aren't diligent. Things like coverage for rental cars, accident forgiveness, and extra equipment coverage may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good when buying your policy, but if they're wasting money consider taking them off your policy.
- Type of car determines base rates - The type of vehicle you drive makes a significant difference in your rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
Auto insurance agents near you
Some people still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find cheap car insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is emailed to insurance agents in Costa Mesa that can give you free Costa Mesa car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to contact any agents because prices are sent immediately to your email address. It's the lowest rates AND a local agent. If you need to compare prices from a specific company, just go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choosing an insurance company should depend on more than just the quoted price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- How long has the business existed?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
If you want a reliable insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of agencies from which to choose. Agents are considered either exclusive or independent.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents generally can only insure with one company and examples are Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. These agents are not able to provide prices from multiple companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on their company's products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Drivers often buy from the same agent for years primarily because of the prominent brand name rather than low price.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are appointed with more than one company so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they quote lower rates, they simply move your policy to a different company which is easy for the insured. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, it's recommended you include price quotes from several independent insurance agents for maximum quote selection. They often place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies who may have lower rates.
Car insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Even though rates can get expensive, maintaining insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may buy a policy for your vehicle for a much higher rate and make you pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your vehicle. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is overpaying over $869 every year so it's very important to do a rate comparison at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Affordable car insurance premiums are out there
We just presented some good ideas how to save on car insurance in Costa Mesa. It's most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of getting cheap Costa Mesa car insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest prices come from a lesser-known regional company.
People leave their current company for a number of reasons such as not issuing a premium refund, delays in paying claims, unfair underwriting practices and even questionable increases in premium. It doesn't matter what your reason, switching car insurance companies is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
When buying insurance coverage, it's a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price and still be able to protect your assets.
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Rates for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Fontana, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 25 in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Immigrants in California? (FAQ)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)