Searching for lower-priced car insurance rates in Pasadena, CA? Pasadena buyers have many options when searching for the lowest priced car insurance. You can either waste hours driving around getting price quotes or utilize the internet to get rate quotes.
There are both good and bad ways to compare car insurance rates so we're going to tell you the absolute fastest way to get price quotes for a and obtain the cheapest rates either online or from Pasadena insurance agents.
The quickest way to get policy rate comparisons is to take advantage of the fact car insurance companies participate in online systems to compare their rates. The only thing you need to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details such as level of coverage desired, the type of vehicles you drive, if the car is leased, and types of safety features. That rating data gets sent immediately to multiple top-rated companies and they provide comparison quotes immediately.
To find lower rates now, click here and enter your zip code.
The auto insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Pasadena, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can to find the most competitive auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,376||$688||$115|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$1,570||$785||$131|
|Ford Edge SE AWD||$1,298||$649||$108|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,202||$601||$100|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$1,404||$702||$117|
|Ford F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$1,410||$705||$118|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,438||$719||$120|
|Ford Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,830||$915||$153|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$966||$483||$81|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,208||$604||$101|
|Honda Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,384||$692||$115|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,516||$758||$126|
|Mazda 3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,302||$651||$109|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,664||$832||$139|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,648||$824||$137|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$1,234||$617||$103|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and safe-driver. Rate information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can modify prices substantially.
Auto insurance deductibles
One common question asked by Pasadena drivers is at what level do you set your deductibles. The comparison tables below show the price difference when you select higher and lower physical damage coverage deductibles. The first data set uses a $100 physical damage coverage deductible and the second pricing table uses a $500 deductible.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Escape XLS 2WD||$332||$564||$376||$22||$112||$1,431||$119|
|Escape XLS 4WD||$332||$564||$376||$22||$112||$1,431||$119|
|Escape XLT 2WD||$332||$564||$376||$22||$112||$1,431||$119|
|Escape Limited 2WD||$380||$564||$376||$22||$112||$1,479||$123|
|Escape XLT 4WD||$380||$564||$376||$22||$112||$1,479||$123|
|Escape Limited 4WD||$380||$686||$376||$22||$112||$1,601||$133|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Escape XLS 2WD||$242||$382||$376||$22||$112||$1,134||$95|
|Escape XLS 4WD||$242||$382||$376||$22||$112||$1,134||$95|
|Escape XLT 2WD||$242||$382||$376||$22||$112||$1,134||$95|
|Escape Limited 2WD||$278||$382||$376||$22||$112||$1,170||$98|
|Escape XLT 4WD||$278||$382||$376||$22||$112||$1,170||$98|
|Escape Limited 4WD||$278||$464||$376||$22||$112||$1,252||$104|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Rate information does not factor in garaging location in Pasadena which can affect insurance rates substantially.
Based on this data, using a $100 deductible will cost you approximately $25 more each month or $300 for a full year than opting for the higher $500 deductible. Since you would pay $400 more out-of-pocket with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you normally average at a minimum 16 months between claims, you would save more money if you choose a higher deductible.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The illustration below shows the difference between Honda Accord insurance prices with full coverage compared to only the California minimum liability coverage. The information is based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no written rule for eliminating comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Honda Accord replacement cost is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $5,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying in excess of $500 annually to have full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are a few cases where buying only liability insurance is not a good idea. If you haven't paid off your loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Why you need insurance
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Pasadena, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will make it mandatory that you buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your vehicle at an extremely high rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays more than $825 a year so shop around at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Are you falling for claims of savings?
Consumers in California get pounded daily by advertisements for cheaper auto insurance by State Farm, GEICO and Progressive. They all seem to make an identical promise that people will save if you change your auto insurance policy to them.
That's great but how can every company save you money on auto insurance? Here is how they do it.
Different companies give the best rates for the type of driver that makes them money. A good example of a profitable customer should be between the ages of 40 and 55, carries full coverage, and drives a vehicle with a low ISO rating. A driver who matches those parameters is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably save when they switch companies.
Insureds who cannot meet these standards will see higher premium rates which results in the driver buying from a lower-cost company. If you pay close attention to the ads, they say "customers that switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save that much when switching. That's the way insurance companies can confidently make those claims.
Each company has different criteria, so you really need to compare free Pasadena auto insurance quotes often. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will have the lowest prices for your situation.
Don't overlook these ten auto insurance discounts
Some insurance providers don't necessarily list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched some of the best known as well as some of the hidden savings tricks you should be using when you buy Pasadena auto insurance online.
- Multiple Cars - Having multiple cars with the same auto insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Braking Control Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Home Ownership Discount - Simply owning a home can get you a discount since owning and maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Forcing all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the medical payments premium.
- First Accident Forgiveness - This one is not really a discount per se, but certain companies allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven't had any claims before the accident.
- Discount for Swiching Early - Some insurance companies give discounts for buying a policy prior to the expiration date on your current policy. This can save 10% or more.
- Active Military Service - Having an actively deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- Save with a New Car - Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less compared to insuring an older model.
- No Accidents - Good drivers with no accidents can save substantially compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Paperwork-free - A handful of larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks get Pasadena auto insurance over the internet.
As a sidenote, most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, that's just not realistic. Any qualifying discounts will lower your premiums.
Large auto insurance companies and their offered discounts can be found below.
- American Family may offer discounts for Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, good student, air bags, early bird, TimeAway discount, and good driver.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for anti-theft, defensive driving, Farm Bureau membership, easy pay, and accident-free.
- MetLife offers discounts for good driver, accident-free, good student, defensive driver, claim-free, multi-policy
- 21st Century has discounts for student driver, air bags, theft prevention, early bird, automatic seat belts, and anti-lock brakes.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for distant student, bundle discounts, teen driver, good student, homeowner, mature driver, and alternative fuel.
- Allstate may have discounts that include passive restraint, premier plus, auto/life discount, utility vehicle, new car, EZ pay plan discount, and senior citizen.
When getting free Pasadena auto insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each company or agent what discounts are available to you. Some credits might not be available to policyholders everywhere.
Car insurance agents near you
A lot of people just want to go talk to an agent and that is OK! Licensed agents can help you build your policy and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance quotes and still have a local agent. And buying from neighborhood agents is important especially in Pasadena.
After completing this short form, your information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent to you directly. If you wish to compare rates for a specific company, just visit that company's website and fill out their quote form.
When finding an insurance agent, there are two different types of agents that you can select. Agencies in Pasadena are categorized either independent or exclusive. Either one can insure your vehicles, but it's worth mentioning how they are different since it can affect the kind of agent you use.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies often have affiliation with several companies so as a result can place your coverage amongst many companies and find you cheaper rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part. When comparing rates, it's a good idea to include rate quotes from at least one independent agent to have the best price comparison. Most also write with small mutual carriers who may have lower rates.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These type of agents generally can only insure with one company such as State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. They are usually well trained on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers sometimes buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand rather than low rates.
Choosing the best insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- How often do they review coverages?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Pasadena?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
When to get professional advice
When quoting and comparing coverage online or from an agent, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if you could use an agent's help.
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
- I have health insurance so do I need medical payments coverage?
- When can I cancel my policy?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- Can I cancel at any time?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
If you're not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Car insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of your policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you'll find the normal coverages offered by car insurance companies.
This protects you from damage that occurs to a person or their property. This insurance protects YOU against other people's claims, and does not provide coverage for your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $5,000. Another option is one number which is a combined single limit which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for things such as medical expenses, pain and suffering, repair bills for other people's vehicles, medical services and structural damage. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but you should buy as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but you should consider buying higher limits.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage covers damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things such as sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a mailbox, colliding with a tree and scraping a guard rail. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. It's also possible to choose a higher deductible to bring the cost down.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for bills for rehabilitation expenses, chiropractic care, prosthetic devices, pain medications and dental work. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like damage from getting keyed, damage from flooding, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and theft. The most a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle's value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
This coverage gives you protection when the "other guys" do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Since many California drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (15/30/5 in California), their limits can quickly be used up. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Usually these coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
More comparisons equals cheap rates
Lower-priced auto insurance in Pasadena is definitely available online as well as from insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not have online rate quotes and these smaller companies work with local independent agencies.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it's very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
For more information, feel free to browse the resources below:
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance for a GMC Sierra? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Seniors in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Young Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)