How long has it been since you sat down and looked for the cheapest auto insurance rates in Lancaster, CA? Lancaster shoppers have options when shopping for the lowest priced car insurance. They can either spend hours calling around trying to get quotes or leverage the internet to compare rates. There is a right way and a wrong way to find auto insurance online and we'll show you the proper way to quote coverages on a and get the lowest price.
Shockingly, almost 70% of insureds in California have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared quotes from other companies. American consumers could save approximately 47% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most tend to underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Buying affordable auto insurance in Lancaster is not that difficult. If you have auto insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to lower your rates using the techniques presented in this article. You just need to know the proper methods to compare different rates online.
Smart buyers can cut your costs
Lots of things are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but other criteria are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage and annual miles driven.
- High credit means lower prices - A driver's credit score factor in determining premium rates. Drivers with high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than those with lower credit scores. If your credit rating can be improved, you could save money insuring your vehicle by repairing your credit.
- Buy a safe car and pay less - Cars with high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce the chance of injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and cheaper rates on your policy.
- More traffic means higher claims - Being located in small towns and rural areas is a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers on the road translates into fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. Residents of big cities regularly have more auto accidents and a longer drive to work. Longer commute distances means more chance of being in an accident.
- Cut rates and deter theft - Owning a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your insurance. Anti-theft features like GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder auto theft.
The providers in the list below provide price quotes in California. To get cheap auto insurance in California, it's highly recommended you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 2WD||$1,698||$849||$142|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$1,052||$526||$88|
|Ford F-150 XL Super Cab 4WD||$1,108||$554||$92|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,526||$763||$127|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,504||$752||$125|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,294||$647||$108|
|Honda Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,506||$753||$126|
|Jeep Wrangler Sport Islander Package 4WD 2-Dr||$1,082||$541||$90|
|Mazda 3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,570||$785||$131|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,752||$876||$146|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,236||$618||$103|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,568||$784||$131|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$1,216||$608||$101|
|Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T Station Wagon||$1,340||$670||$112|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Rate information does not factor in Lancaster location which can raise or lower auto insurance rates greatly.
Comparison of policy deductibles
The chart below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can raise or lower Nissan Sentra insurance prices for different insured age categories. The premiums are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are factored in.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Auto insurance rates are higher with tickets and accidents
The example below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders can affect Honda Accord insurance costs for each age group. The prices are based on a married male driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Physical damage deductibles: Should you raise them?
When shopping for auto insurance, a common question is which comprehensive and collision deductibles to buy. The figures shown below show the cost difference when you select higher and lower deductibles. The first set of rates uses a $250 comprehensive and collision deductible and the second data table uses a $500 deductible.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,499||$125|
|Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,499||$125|
|Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$678||$442||$26||$132||$1,601||$133|
|Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$678||$442||$26||$132||$1,601||$133|
|Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$342||$678||$500||$30||$150||$1,725||$144|
|Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$342||$678||$500||$30||$150||$1,725||$144|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,306||$109|
|Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,306||$109|
|Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,388||$116|
|Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,388||$116|
|Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$278||$546||$500||$30||$150||$1,504||$125|
|Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$278||$546||$500||$30||$150||$1,504||$125|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Data based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in specific location which can modify premiums noticeably.
Based on the figures above, using a $250 deductible will cost you roughly $17 more each month or $204 annually than opting for the higher $500 deductible. Because you would be required to pay $250 more if you file a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you usually have more than 15 months between claims, you would save money going with the higher deductible.
How to calculate deductible break even period
|Average monthly premium for $250 deductibles:||$134|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||- $117|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$17|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 - $250):||$250|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$250 / $17|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||15 months|
One thing to be aware of is that increasing deductibles to save money means you will have to pay more of your own money when you have to file a claim. It will be required that you have enough money stashed away in the event you have to pay the higher deductible.
Protect your vehicle and other assets
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Lancaster, car insurance serves several important purposes.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost every bank will require you to carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle definitely exceed the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is wasting up to $800 each year so compare rates each time the policy renews to save money.
Are you eligible for every discount?
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there may be some discounts that may help make it more affordable. Most are applied at the time of quoting, but a few must be asked about before being credited.
- Life Insurance Discount - Companies who offer life insurance give a discounted premium rate on car insurance if you buy a life policy as well.
- Federal Government Employee - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
- Senior Citizens - If you're over the age of 55, you may receive better insurance rates.
- College Student - Kids who are attending college and do not have a car could qualify for this discount.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Purchasing coverage when you have multiple vehicles on the same insurance policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think it's possible to get free car insurance, you won't be that lucky.
A few popular companies and some of their more popular discounts include:
- GEICO has savings for multi-vehicle, military active duty, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, and membership and employees.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for multi-policy, age of vehicle, professional/association, good student, accident-free, and location of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including pay in full, switch companies, good student, alternative fuel, and homeowner.
- Auto-Owners Insurance includes discounts for anti-theft, paid in full, student away at school, good student, safe driver, safe vehicle, and multi-policy.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including good student, newly married, hybrid vehicle, new vehicle discount, multi-car, teen driver discount, and new move discount.
- SAFECO has discounts for anti-theft, teen safety rewards, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, and homeowner.
- Progressive may have discounts that include online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy.
- USAA discounts include driver training, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, annual mileage, safe driver, and military installation.
When comparing rates, check with all companies you are considering which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts might not be available to policyholders in every state. To view providers that offer the discounts shown above in Lancaster, click here.
Insurance agent or online?
A lot of people still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Licensed agents can answer important questions and help you file claims. An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find the best rates and still have a local agent.
After completing this simple form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to companies in Lancaster who will give you bids to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to search for any insurance agencies because prices are sent straight to your inbox. If you need to quote rates from one company in particular, you can always find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Finding a good insurance company shouldn't rely on just a cheap price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Is there a local claims center in Lancaster?
- Which family members are covered?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
The type of car insurance agent you choose is important
If you're trying to find a local insurance agency, there are two types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in Lancaster can be categorized as either independent or exclusive. Both can sell and service insurance coverage, but we need to point out why they differ because it can factor into the type of agent you choose.
Agents in the exclusive channel can usually just insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers often use the same exclusive agent mainly due to the brand rather than having the cheapest rates.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are appointed with more than one company so as a result can place your coverage with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can just switch to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent. If you are comparing insurance prices, we recommend you include several independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. A lot of them also have access to smaller regional carriers that may provide cheaper insurance rates.
Shop around and save
When buying insurance coverage, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
In this article, we presented a lot of techniques to compare insurance rates in Lancaster. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from the least-expected company.
Budget-conscious insurance is available online in addition to many Lancaster insurance agents, so you need to quote Lancaster car insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers may not offer rates over the internet and usually these smaller providers provide coverage only through independent agencies.
To learn more, feel free to visit these articles:
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Rates for Teenagers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Car Insurance in Los Angeles, CA? (FAQ)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)