Do you think you bought overpriced insurance? You're in good company because there are many Chowchilla consumers feeling the pinch from expensive insurance.
Unbelievably, the majority of drivers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and 38% of customers have never shopped around. With the average insurance premium being $1,387, Chowchilla drivers could pocket $470 a year by just comparing quotes, but they assume it's a waste of time to find lower-cost insurance by shopping around. Insurance companies such as GEICO, Farmers Insurance and State Farm persitently shower you with catchy ads and it can be hard to sift through the bull and take the time to shop coverage around.
You should take the time to do rate comparisons every six months since insurance rates change regularly. Even if you think you had the best deal on insurance on your last policy you will most likely find a better price today. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding insurance online, but in a few minutes you can learn some good information on how to put money back in your pocket.
If you have coverage now or are just looking to switch companies, use these techniques to reduce premiums without reducing coverage. Choosing the best rates in Chowchilla seems hard but is not really that difficult. Smart shoppers only need an understanding of the least time-consuming way to compare different rates using one simple form.
Lowering your auto insurance rates isn't really that difficult. All that's required is to spend a few minutes on the computer comparing rate quotes from some recommended companies.
Comparison shopping rates online is easy and it replaces the need to call or drive to all the different Chowchilla insurance agencies. The ability to buy insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you prefer the advice and guidance that only a licensed agent can provide. It is possible to price shop your coverage online but have your policy serviced through an agent.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Chowchilla, CA. To locate cheap car insurance in California, we suggest you click on several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,142||$571||$95|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$1,186||$593||$99|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,762||$881||$147|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$1,436||$718||$120|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,178||$589||$98|
|Ford F-150 XL Super Cab 4WD||$1,104||$552||$92|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,264||$632||$105|
|Ford Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,884||$942||$157|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,256||$628||$105|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,268||$634||$106|
|Honda Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,576||$788||$131|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$2,072||$1,036||$173|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,854||$927||$155|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T Station Wagon||$1,952||$976||$163|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in garaging location in Chowchilla which can lower or raise prices considerably.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The example below shows the difference between Chevrolet Malibu auto insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in California. The premium estimates are based on no violations or accidents, $500 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no definitive formula of when to stop paying for full coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let's pretend your Chevrolet Malibu settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company would pay you is $4,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying more than $400 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some cases where only buying liability is not a good plan. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to carry full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Determine discounts on Chowchilla insurance
Auto insurance companies don't always publicize every available discount in a way that's easy to find, so the list below gives a summary of both well-publicized and the more hidden credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you check and find you aren't receiving every discount available, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Full Payment Discount - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of making monthly payments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Select larger companies give a discount for switching policies prior to the expiration date on your current policy. You may see this discount when you get Chowchilla car insurance quotes online.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Vehicles with ABS and/or traction control can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Responsible Drivers - Drivers who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less than less cautious drivers.
- College Student Discount - Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and won't have access to an insured vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Accident-Free Discounts - Claim-free drivers are rewarded with significantly better rates on Chowchilla car insurance quote as opposed to frequent claim filers.
- Government Employee Discount - Employees or retirees of the government could provide a small rate reduction with a few insurance companies.
- Paperwork-free - Some larger companies will give a small break for buying your policy digitally online.
- New Car Discount - Buying insurance on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
We need to note that some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
If you would like to see a list of insurance companies who offer free insurance quotes in Chowchilla, click here to view.
Auto insurance agents can find coverage gaps
Some people still prefer to go talk to an agent and that is OK! Insurance agents can help you build your policy and help file insurance claims. A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get lower rates but also keep your business local. Buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is definitely important in Chowchilla.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is transmitted to participating agents in Chowchilla that give free quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won't need to drive around because prices are sent to the email address you provide. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
When searching for a local Chowchilla insurance agent, there are two different types of agencies from which to choose. Auto insurance agents are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can provide auto insurance policies, but it's a good idea to understand the difference in the companies they write for since it can impact buying decisions.
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company so they can insure your vehicles through lots of different companies and find you the best rates. If prices rise, the business is moved internally and you don't have to switch agencies. When comparing rate quotes, you will definitely want to get insurance quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Exclusive agencies are contracted to one company and some examples include AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. They are usually well trained on their company's products which aids in selling service over price.
Finding a good insurance agency should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
How insurance providers determine insurance rates
Lots of factors are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but other factors are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or how safe your car is.
Insurance companies don't like frequent insurance claims - If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Companies in California give discounts to drivers who are claim-free. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of more catastrophic claims.
Add-on coverages can add up - Insurance policies have a lot of additional extra coverages you can purchase but may not be useful. Insurance for things like coverage for rental cars, accidental death, and Farm Bureau memberships may not be needed and are just wasting money. These coverages may sound good when deciding what coverages you need, but if you've never needed them in the past get rid of them and save.
Safer vehicles are cheaper to insure - Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and lower rates of occupant injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your car, truck, or SUV earned at least an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you may qualify for a discount.
Poor credit decisions can cost you - Having a bad credit score will be a significant factor in determining premium rates. Drivers who have very good credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with worse credit. If your credit rating is lower than you'd like, you could save money insuring your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score.
Buying the right vehicle insurance in California is an important decision
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in Chowchilla, insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your vehicle at a much higher rate and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It will also cover medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your car insurance policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying car insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Chowchilla is overpaying over $855 a year so compare rates once a year at a minimum to save money.
A conclusion for your car insurance search
As you shop your coverage around, it's very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to discover later they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your strategy should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
More affordable car insurance in Chowchilla can be sourced online in addition to many Chowchilla insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who don't offer rates over the internet and most of the time these smaller providers sell through independent insurance agents.
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70 in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance Quotes for Low Credit Scores? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda Accord in California? (FAQ)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)