Do you need a better way to compare low-cost Honda Accord insurance in San Jose? If price shopping San Jose auto insurance quotes online is new to you, you may be confused by the vast assortment of insurers vying for business in San Jose.
Sad but true, almost 70% of drivers kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for four years or more, and approximately 40% of consumers have never quoted rates to find lower-cost coverage. Many drivers in California can save $500 each year just by comparing rates, but most undervalue the actual amount they would save if they switch to a new company.
Finding quotes for the lowest cost insurance in San Jose is simple if you know the tricks. Just about every car owner who buys insurance will most likely find a lower-cost policy. Nevertheless, California vehicle owners benefit from understanding how insurance companies calculate their prices and use it to your advantage.
Choices You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Prices
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the factors that are used to determine your auto insurance rates. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this enables informed choices that can earn you better auto insurance rates. Multiple criteria are part of the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating.
Is your vehicle built for speed? - The type of car you need insurance for makes a big difference in your premium level. Since the Honda Accord is a passenger car, insurance will be similar in price or lower than the average rate where you live in San Jose. Low performance passenger cars receive the most favorable rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
Traffic violations mean higher prices - Drivers with clean records have lower premiums than people who have multiple driving citations. Even a single chargeable violation can increase the cost of insurance forty percent or more. Drivers who get careless citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to complete a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
Too many insurance claims will drive premiums up - Insurance companies in California provide the lowest premiums to drivers who are not frequent claim filers. If you're an insured who likes to file claims you can definitely plan on higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
Multiple policies with one company - Many companies will give lower prices to clients that have more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. This can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount, you still need to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
Do you work long hours in a tough occupation? - Occupations like lawyers, executives and accountants have the highest rates in part from intense work-related stress and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, jobs like farmers, engineers and performers receive lower rates.
Location can affect price - Having an address in smaller towns and rural areas of the country can be a good thing if you are looking for the lowest rates. Drivers who live in large cities regularly have congested traffic and higher rates of accident claims. Less people means fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims
A coverage lapse can increase prices - Not maintaining insurance is against the law and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your insurance expire. In addition to paying higher premiums, the inability to provide proof of insurance could result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You may have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department.
Honda Accord statistical loss data - Insurers analyze the history of losses in order to profitably underwrite each model. Models that are shown to have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have higher rates. The table below demonstrates the historical loss data for Honda Accord vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is a value of 100. Percentage numbers below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate frequent claims or statistically larger losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Honda Accord Vehicles
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Honda Accord Hybrid||96||80||98||89||76||84|
|Honda Accord Crosstour 4dr 2WD||85||97||83||122||113||94|
|Honda Accord Crosstour 4dr 4WD||99||102||94||120||93|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
The best way we recommend to compare rate quotes for Honda Accord insurance in San Jose is to realize all the major auto insurance companies participate in online systems to compare rate quotes. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is give them rating details such as if it has an anti-theft system, if the car is leased, daily mileage, and deductibles desired. The data is instantly provided to insurance carriers in your area and you receive quotes with very little delay.
If you wish to get multiple quotes for your Honda Accord now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in San Jose.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free quotes in San Jose, CA. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in California, it's highly recommended you get rates from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$230||$392||$354||$20||$106||$1,102||$92|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$382||$376||$22||$112||$1,134||$95|
|Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$234||$374||$384||$22||$114||$1,128||$94|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$256||$464||$394||$24||$118||$1,256||$105|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$292||$544||$454||$26||$136||$1,452||$121|
|Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$346||$632||$386||$22||$116||$1,502||$125|
|Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$334||$780||$604||$36||$180||$1,934||$161|
|Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$380||$810||$500||$30||$150||$1,870||$156|
|Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$428||$834||$674||$40||$202||$2,178||$182|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can decrease or increase premium rates considerably.
Does full coverage make sense?
The chart below shows the difference between Honda Accord annual premium costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The data assumes no accidents, no driving violations, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Guidelines for eliminating full coverage
There is no clear-cut rule for excluding physical damage coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of having full coverage is 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Honda Accord replacement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would get paid by your company is $6,000 after you pay the deductible. If premium cost is more than $600 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some circumstances where only buying liability is not financially feasible. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to keep full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Illustration showing the impact of accidents and violations
The example below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault accidents influence Honda Accord insurance premiums for different age groups of insureds. The costs are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Switch companies and save? Really?
Allstate and Progressive endlessly run television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to say the same thing about how much you will save if you switch your insurance coverage to their company. Is it even possible that every company can sell you cheaper insurance coverage? It's all in the words they use.
All the different companies require specific criteria for a prospective insured that will not have excessive claims. For instance, a desirable risk may be a married female, is a homeowner, and chooses high deductibles. Someone that meets those criteria is entitled to the best price and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Consumers who do not meet this ideal profile may be required to pay more expensive rates which translates to business going elsewhere. If you listen closely, the ads state "drivers who switch" not "all people who quote" save that kind of money. That is how companies can make those claims.
Because each company has a different risk profile, you really need to compare many company's car insurance rates. You cannot predict the company that will fit your personal profile best.
Protect more than your Honda vehicle
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Honda Accord in San Jose, maintaining insurance serves an important purpose.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Honda, almost every bank will stipulate that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your Honda at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Car insurance preserves both your car and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your car insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly for liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is wasting up to $865 each year so you should quote rates each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Cheap Honda Accord insurance in San Jose
Companies offering auto insurance don't always publicize all possible discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below details a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Early Switch Discount - A few larger companies give discounts for buying a policy prior to your current Accord insurance policy expiring. This can save 10% or more.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles prevent accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Driving less can qualify you for substantially lower prices.
- Payment Method - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Multiple Cars - Buying a policy with multiple vehicles with the same company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Responsible Driver Discount - Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% as compared to drivers with claims.
Please keep in mind that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So even though you would think adding up those discounts means a free policy, you aren't that lucky.
A list of companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for good student, continuous coverage, online quote discount, online signing, and homeowner.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include multi-car, safe driver, teen safe driver, homeowner, anti-theft, teen safety rewards, and drive less.
- American Family discounts include Steer into Savings, early bird, air bags, mySafetyValet, and defensive driver.
- MetLife has savings for good driver, defensive driver, good student, claim-free, accident-free, and multi-policy.
- GEICO has discounts for membership and employees, military active duty, seat belt use, good student, and anti-lock brakes.
- The Hartford may include discounts for driver training, air bag, good student, vehicle fuel type, bundle, anti-theft, and defensive driver.
When getting a coverage quote, ask all the companies which discounts they offer. Some credits may not be offered in San Jose. To see insurers who offer discounts in California, follow this link.
You may want advice from a local insurance agent
Some people would rather buy from a licensed agent and doing so can bring peace of mind A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get lower auto insurance rates and still have a local agent. And supporting neighborhood agents is important particularly in San Jose.
After completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in San Jose that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to leave your computer because prices are sent to you directly. You'll get the best rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you want to quote rates from a particular provider, just visit that company's website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Auto insurance agents in San Jose come in two varieties
When finding local San Jose agents, there are two different agency structures and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agencies in San Jose can either be exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent do not have single company limitations so they can quote policies with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If they find a lower price, they can switch companies in-house and you don't have to find a new agent. If you are comparing rate quotes, you need to include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Many independent agencies also insure through different regional companies who may have lower rates.
Listed below is a partial list of independent insurance agents in San Jose that may be able to give free rate quotes.
- Gatewood Insurance Agency Inc
1095 Bird Ave #2 - San Jose, CA 95125 - (408) 298-1611 - View Map
- Cya Insurance Agency From Sn
1271 Story Rd #50 - San Jose, CA 95122 - (408) 971-4172 - View Map
- Khalsa Insurance Agency
3750 McKee Rd A - San Jose, CA 95127 - (408) 272-2500 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only write with one company such as American Family, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained in insurance sales which helps them sell on service rather than price. Some consumers prefer to buy from the same agent for years mostly because of the brand and solid financial strength.
Below is a list of exclusive agents in San Jose willing to provide rate quotes.
- Jim Edington - State Farm Insurance Agent
361 Piercy Rd - San Jose, CA 95138 - (408) 225-2463 - View Map
- Reed Sparks - State Farm Insurance Agent
3119 Alum Rock Ave - San Jose, CA 95127 - (408) 923-2055 - View Map
- Rachel Bhan - State Farm Insurance Agent
1625 N Capitol Ave - San Jose, CA 95132 - (408) 272-2629 - View Map
Selecting an insurance agency requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to proper insurance coverage, there isn't really a cookie cutter policy. Your financial needs are unique and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For example, these questions can help discover whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Am I covered when driving someone else's vehicle?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
If you can't answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Quote. Compare. Save.
As you quote San Jose auto insurance, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where an insured dropped liability coverage limits only to discover later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
Some insurance companies may not offer online price quotes and usually these regional carriers only sell through local independent agents. Discount Honda Accord insurance can be purchased on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
Additional information can be read at the links below
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Chula Vista, California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Auto Insurance Quotes for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Santa Clarita, California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Fontana, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda Accord in California? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)