I doubt anyone likes having to buy auto insurance, especially when they know the cost is way too high.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, most auto insurance customers have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never shopped around. Drivers in Fresno could pocket almost $500 a year by just shopping around, but they won't spend time to find cheaper auto insurance rates. Companies like GEICO, Farmers Insurance and State Farm constantly blast consumers with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to sift through the bull and take the time to shop coverage around.
Consumers need to get comparison quotes once or twice a year because insurance rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you got the best deal on auto insurance a year ago you will most likely find a better price today. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding auto insurance on the web, but by reading this article, you're going to learn the easiest ways to find cheap auto insurance in Fresno.
Compare insurance rates
Most companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Progressive provide coverage prices online. Doing online price comparisons doesn't take a lot of time as you just type in your coverage preferences into the quote form. When complete, the quote system will obtain credit information and your driving record and returns a price based on these and other factors. The ability to get online quotes makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it's also necessary to compare as many rates as possible if you want to get a better rate.
To compare pricing, visit the companies below or click here to submit a quote request to multiple companies at once. To compare your current rates, we recommend you copy coverages and limits as close as possible to your current policy. This ensures you will be getting a rate comparison for similar insurance coverage.
The auto insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in California. In order to find cheap car insurance in Fresno, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to find the most competitive rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 2WD||$1,320||$660||$110|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$1,102||$551||$92|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$1,526||$763||$127|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,488||$744||$124|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SE||$1,274||$637||$106|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$1,602||$801||$134|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$992||$496||$83|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$1,684||$842||$140|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,700||$850||$142|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,504||$752||$125|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,324||$662||$110|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,534||$767||$128|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$1,252||$626||$104|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$2,006||$1,003||$167|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$1,596||$798||$133|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,418||$709||$118|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,626||$813||$136|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-policy. Premium amounts do not factor in zip code location which can increase or decrease premium rates greatly.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The illustration below shows the comparison of Honda Accord yearly insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the California minimum liability coverage. The prices are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no exact rule to eliminate comp and collision coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of coverage is 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Honda Accord replacement cost is $4,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would get paid by your company is $3,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying over $300 annually for full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not in your best interest. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Cheaper rates with discounts
Some insurers don't always advertise their entire list of discounts in a way that's easy to find, so here is a list some of the best known and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using when you buy Fresno car insurance online.
- Homeowners Savings - Owning a house in Fresno can save a few bucks because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Accident Forgiveness - Not really a discount, but certain companies may permit one accident without the usual rate increase if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Active Military Service - Having a family member in the military could mean lower premium rates.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Braking Control Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Club Memberships - Being a member of a civic or occupational organization in Fresno is a simple method to lower premiums on your policy.
- Low Miles Discount - Low annual miles could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Telematics Devices - Drivers that enable companies to analyze when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system such as State Farm's In-Drive might get better premium rates as long as they are good drivers.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though the math looks like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn't work that way.
A partial list of companies that may include some of the above discounts include:
Before buying, ask each insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policies in Fresno. To choose providers that offer discounts in California, click this link.
Can't I get rate quotes from local Fresno car insurance agents?
A lot of people prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Professional insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help you file claims. A good thing about price shopping on the web is that you can obtain lower car insurance rates but also keep your business local. Buying from local agencies is especially important in Fresno.
Once you complete this short form, the quote information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Fresno that provide free Fresno car insurance quotes for your business. You won't even need to contact an agency because prices are sent immediately to you. If you have a need to compare rates from a specific auto insurance provider, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
Fresno auto insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
If you are wanting to find a local Fresno insurance agent, it's important to understand the different agency structures and how they work. Fresno agents may be either independent or exclusive. Both provide auto insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the difference in the companies they write for since it could factor into your selection of an agent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not limited to a single company and that enables them to quote your coverage with any number of different companies and get you the best rates possible. If your premiums go up, your policy is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, it's a good idea to include price quotes from at least one independent agent for maximum quote selection.
Shown below are Fresno independent agencies that may be able to give free price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies can only provide one company's prices like Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. They receive extensive training on their company's products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Fresno that can give you price quotes.
Finding a good car insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a low price. Any agent in Fresno should have no problem answering these questions:
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Where are claims handled?
- Does their agency support local causes in Fresno?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
Price influencing factors
Many factors are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, although some other factors are more obscure such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
- Premiums impacted by vehicle usage - Driving a lot of miles in a year's time the higher the price you pay to insure it. A lot of companies charge to insure your cars determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars that sit idle most of the time qualify for better rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. It's always a good idea to double check that your auto insurance policy states the proper vehicle usage.
- Save money by eliminating extra policy coverages - There are a lot of extra add-on coverages that you can buy if you don't pay attention. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and additional equipment coverage are probably not needed. You may think they are a good idea at first, but if you don't need them consider taking them off your policy.
- Don't cut corners with liability - The liability section of your policy will protect you if ever you are determined to be liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Liability provides for a legal defense to defend your case. Liability insurance is pretty cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not cut corners here.
- More than one policy can earn a discount - Many insurance companies will give better rates to customers who have multiple policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. The discount can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you're getting this discount it's in your best interest to compare rates to ensure the best deal. It's possible to still find better rates even if you have your coverage with different companies
- With age comes responsibility - Inexperience drivers are statistically shown to be easily distracted with other occupants in the car therefore auto insurance rates are much higher. Having to add a youthful driver to your policy can increase premiums substantially. Older insureds have been proven to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and usually have better credit.
- Higher premiums for specific employers - Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations such as military generals, air traffic controllers, and stock brokers usually pay the highest rates because of job stress and incredibly demanding work hours. On the flip side, careers like professors, students and the unemployed pay the least.
- Deter theft and pay less - Selecting a car model with an alarm system can earn a premium discount. Anti-theft features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system all help stop auto theft.
- Influences performance influences auto insurance premiums - The make and model of the vehicle you need insurance for makes a huge difference in your premium level. Small economy passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Why you need quality insurance for your vehicle
Even though rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle serves a purpose in several ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability insurance if you don't want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will require that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle at a significantly higher premium and make you pay the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle gets damaged, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle greatly outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. An average driver in America is wasting up to $800 each year so compare rate quotes at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
You can lower your car insurance rates
Some companies may not have internet price quotes and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agencies. More affordable car insurance in Fresno can be found on the web in addition to many Fresno insurance agents, so compare prices from both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
As you restructure your insurance plan, make sure you don't reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits only to regret they didn't have enough coverage. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
For more information, feel free to browse these articles:
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Good Students in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Equinox? (FAQ)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)