Searching for the lowest price San Jose Ford Edge insurance quotes may seem to be rather difficult for consumers new to comparison shopping on the web. With such a large number of agents and companies competing online, how can anyone even start to compare them all to find lower auto insurance premiums?
Shockingly, the vast majority of drivers have purchased from the same company for four years or more, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find affordable rates. California insurance shoppers can save nearly 35% each year, but they don't know how much they could save if they switched to a more affordable policy.
The purpose of this article is to introduce you to the best methods to compare rates and also pocket some savings If you're already insured, you will most likely be able to get lower rates using the ideas presented in this article. But California consumers must comprehend how companies calculate your insurance rates and take advantage of how the system works.
Lower-cost San Jose car insurance quotes with discounts
Companies do not advertise their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below contains a few of the more common as well as the least known discounts that you can inquire about if you buy San Jose car insurance online.
- Federal Government Employee - Having worked for a branch of the government may reduce rates when you quote San Jose car insurance with select insurance companies.
- Drivers Education - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll and complete driver's education if it's offered in school.
- Early Payment Discounts - If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Multi-line Discount - Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower rate if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Distant Student - Any of your kids who live away from home at college and do not have access to a covered vehicle could get you a discount.
- First Accident Forgiveness - This one isn't a discount, but companies like Allstate, Progressive, and GEICO will turn a blind eye to one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you haven't had any claims before the accident.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Drivers that enable data collection to look at driving manner remotely like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm may get a rate reduction if they are good drivers.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured - Buying a policy with primary and secondary vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Driver Training Discounts - Passing a course teaching safe driver skills could earn you a small percentage discount if you qualify.
- Theft Prevention System - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen with less frequency and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, nobody gets a free ride.
If you would like to choose from a list of insurers who offer discounts in San Jose, click here.
When comparing car insurance rates, know that comparing more rates from different companies will improve the odds of getting a lower rate than you're paying now.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide price quotes in California. If you wish to find the cheapest car insurance in San Jose, CA, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Edge SE 2WD||$258||$480||$424||$26||$126||$1,314||$110|
|Edge SE AWD||$258||$584||$424||$26||$126||$1,418||$118|
|Edge SEL 2WD||$208||$454||$464||$28||$138||$1,292||$108|
|Edge Limited 2WD||$208||$454||$500||$30||$150||$1,342||$112|
|Edge SEL AWD||$180||$416||$534||$32||$160||$1,322||$110|
|Edge Limited AWD||$292||$672||$416||$24||$124||$1,528||$127|
|Edge Sport 2WD||$334||$780||$534||$32||$160||$1,840||$153|
|Edge Sport AWD||$266||$576||$424||$26||$126||$1,418||$118|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in specific San Jose garaging location which can impact premium rates considerably.
Full coverage versus liability-only
The diagram below shows the difference between Ford Edge insurance premiums with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The information is based on no claims or driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There is no set rule to stop paying for physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Ford Edge replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $2,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying more than $200 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage.
Safe drivers pay less for car insurance
The example below illustrates how speeding tickets and fender-benders can influence Ford Edge yearly insurance costs for different insured age categories. The rate quotes are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Seven Things That Influence Your Insurance Costs
It's important that you understand some of the things that help determine car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that may result in much lower annual insurance costs. Multiple criteria are used when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, but others are more transparent such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
- Do you really need to file that claims? - If you file a lot of claims you should expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies in California give lower rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
- Higher premiums for coverage lapses - Allowing your coverage to lapse is a quick way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in fines or a revoked license. You may then have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Limits of liability coverage - Liability coverage kicks in if you are found to be at fault for damages from an accident. This coverage provides you with a defense in court which can cost a lot. It is affordable coverage compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Your occupation is a factor - Occupational choices like fire fighters, police officers, and medical professionals generally pay higher average rates because of intense work requirements and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, jobs like farmers, engineers and homemakers pay lower than average rates.
- Bundle policies and save - The majority of companies will give discounts to policyholders who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you're getting this discount you may still want to compare other company rates to guarantee you are still saving the most. You may still be able to save more without the discount by buying car insurance from a different company.
- Gender and car insurance - Over the last 30 years, statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. Now that doesn't mean females are better drivers. Both genders are in at-fault accidents at about the same rate, but men have costlier accidents. In addition to higher claims, males also receive more costly citations like reckless driving and DUI.
- Save money by eliminating extra policy coverages - There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that may not really be needed if you aren't diligent. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, towing, and motor club memberships may be wasting your money. The coverages may be enticing when discussing your needs, but if you don't need them think about removing them and cutting costs.
- Insurance losses for a Ford Edge - Companies use data from past claims to calculate a price that will offset any claims. Vehicles that statistically have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will cost more to insure.
The data below shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Ford Edge vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is represented as 100. Percentage values below 100 indicate better than average losses, while values that are above 100 point to more losses or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Ford Edge Vehicles
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford Edge 4dr 2WD 53 93 Ford Edge 4dr 4WD 71 108 75
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance can be complex
Always remember that when buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn't really a cookie cutter policy. Every insured's situation is different.
These are some specific questions might help in determining whether you could use an agent's help.
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- Should I buy full coverage?
- How much liability coverage do I need in California?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Auto insurance is available from local insurance agents
Certain consumers prefer to talk to an insurance agent and we recommend doing that One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local agents is definitely important in San Jose.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is immediately sent to participating agents in San Jose who will gladly provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won't even need to contact an agency because quoted prices will be sent to you. You can find the lowest rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific company, just go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Shown below is a list of auto insurance companies in San Jose that are able to give price quote information for Ford Edge insurance in San Jose.
- Art Holland - State Farm Insurance Agent
5520 Almaden Expy - San Jose, CA 95118 - (408) 229-7870 - View Map
- Joe Fiorentino - State Farm Insurance Agent
1153 Redmond Ave Ste C - San Jose, CA 95120 - (408) 927-7526 - View Map
- Taylor Benefits Insurance Agency
4820 Harwood Rd #130 - San Jose, CA 95124 - (408) 358-7502 - View Map
- Frank Kachkouche - State Farm Insurance Agent
901 S White Rd - San Jose, CA 95127 - (408) 923-2073 - View Map
Finding a good insurer shouldn't rely on just the bottom line cost. Any good agent in San Jose should know the answers to these questions.
- How often do they review coverages?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Is coverage determined by price?
Insurance is not optional in California
Despite the high cost, insuring your vehicle serves an important purpose.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Ford has a loan, most banks will force you to buy insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Ford at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your Ford. Insurance will pay for most medical and hospital costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance more than offset the price you pay, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in America overpays more than $800 each year so compare rates each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
Shop smart and save
Some companies don't offer online price quotes and many times these smaller companies sell through local independent agencies. Lower-priced Ford Edge insurance in San Jose is possible both online and with local San Jose insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
As you quote San Jose car insurance, it's very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. In many cases, an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that it was a big error on their part. Your objective should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
We just covered a lot of ways to reduce Ford Edge insurance prices online in San Jose. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Highlander? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in San Diego, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 21 in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Teenage Males in California? (FAQ)
- Determining Your Vehicle's Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)