Being forced to pay for overpriced auto insurance premiums can drain your bank account and force you to prioritize other expenses.
A study showed that most auto insurance customers kept their policy with the same company for over three years, and almost half have never compared rates with other companies. Many drivers in California can save almost $470 each year, but they don't invest the time required to do a rate comparison. Many insurers vie for your insurance dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates to get the best price available on Chevy Silverado insurance in San Jose.
You should take the time to do price comparisons once or twice a year because prices change regularly. Just because you found the best rate on Chevy Silverado insurance in San Jose six months ago there may be better deals available now. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because we're going to demonstrate the only way to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
If you have insurance now or are shopping for new coverage, you will benefit by learning to reduce premiums and still have adequate protection. Finding the cheapest coverage in San Jose is quite easy if you know the best way to do it. Consumers just have to know the tricks to buy car insurance over the internet.
Best Chevy Silverado insurance price quotes in California
The companies in the list below provide free rate quotes in California. In order to find cheap auto insurance in California, we recommend you visit several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$298||$472||$500||$30||$150||$1,450||$121|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$158||$306||$500||$30||$150||$1,144||$95|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$234||$446||$674||$40||$202||$1,596||$133|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$240||$362||$654||$38||$196||$1,490||$124|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$252||$426||$456||$26||$136||$1,296||$108|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$292||$570||$416||$24||$124||$1,426||$119|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$308||$570||$674||$40||$202||$1,794||$150|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$182||$354||$564||$34||$168||$1,302||$109|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$270||$564||$500||$30||$150||$1,514||$126|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$490||$810||$654||$38||$196||$2,188||$182|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$330||$672||$416||$24||$124||$1,566||$131|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$420||$930||$604||$36||$180||$2,170||$181|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$234||$490||$604||$36||$180||$1,544||$129|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$270||$536||$464||$28||$138||$1,436||$120|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$386||$678||$500||$30||$150||$1,744||$145|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$370||$766||$574||$34||$172||$1,916||$160|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$386||$780||$442||$26||$132||$1,766||$147|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$476||$960||$596||$36||$178||$2,246||$187|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Price information does not factor in specific garaging location which can alter coverage rates greatly.
Bad driving habits will cost you more
The illustration below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault collisions can impact Chevrolet Silverado car insurance costs for different age categories. The price estimates are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Cost difference between full coverage and liability
The chart below shows the comparison of Chevrolet Silverado car insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in California. The data assumes no accidents, no driving violations, $500 deductibles, married female driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no written rule of when to drop physical damage insurance, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of full coverage is 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let's say your Chevrolet Silverado book value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premiums are more than $700 a year to have full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not financially feasible. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not remove full coverage.
An analysis of deductible level
The example below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Chevrolet Silverado premium costs for different age categories. The rate quotes are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
The Chevy Silverado Insurance Price Equation
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that go into determining the price you pay for insurance. If you know what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that will entitle you to big savings. Many different elements are used when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, although some other factors are less apparent like your continuous coverage or how financially stable you are.
- Performance impacts insurance rates - The performance of the vehicle you drive makes a big difference in your rates. Because the Chevrolet Silverado is considered a pickup truck, insurance will be similar in price as compared to the average rate in San Jose. Smaller low performance passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Single drivers may have higher prices - Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your insurance bill. Having a significant other demonstrates that you tend to be more financially stable and it's proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Insurance rates and age - Mature drivers are more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.Youthful drivers have a tendency to be more careless when driving with friends and because of this, their insurance rates are much higher.
- Don't cut corners with liability insurance - The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you when you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to other policy coverages, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- File a policy claims and pay more - If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies in California provide the best rates to insureds that do not abuse their auto insurance. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Save money with high credit - Having a good credit history factor in your rate calculation. Consumers who have high credit scores tend to be more responsible as compared to drivers with lower credit ratings. If your credit score is lower than you'd like, you could potentially save money when insuring your Chevrolet Silverado if you improve your credit rating.
- Your employer is a factor - Did you know your insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Careers like judges, air traffic controllers, and accountants generally pay higher rates than average attributed to intense work situations and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, occupations such as actors, students and homemakers get better rates.
- Chevy Silverado claim data - Insurers include the past claim trends for vehicles to help determine the rate you pay. Models that the data shows to have higher losses will have higher premium rates. The table shown below demonstrates the collected loss data for Chevy Silverado vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is represented as 100. Values under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers that are greater than 100 show a trend for more claims or a tendency for losses to be larger than average.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Silverado Models
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2WD 76 118 85 78 69 125 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD 60 76 72 54 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 89 103 131 77 70 94 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4WD 96 105 116 57 57 87 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD 90 126 100 88 85 117 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD 84 98 89 60 60 88 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 2WD 60 65 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD 66 97 66 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 2WD 76 127 65 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4WD 88 114 97 45 42 82 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 2WD 80 54 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4WD 79 105 83 37 43 75 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4WD 65 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD 98 127 108 54 39 76 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Ext Cab 4WD 129 127
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Companies offer many types of discounts on Chevy Silverado insurance in San Jose
Auto insurance companies don't necessarily list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of both the well known and also the more inconspicuous ways to save on car insurance.
- Life Insurance - Some insurance carriers give a lower price if you buy some life insurance too.
- Early Switch Discount - Select companies give a discount for switching policies before your current expiration date. It's a savings of about 10%.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If you pay your bill all at once rather than spreading payments over time you can avoid the installment charge.
- Accident Free - Insureds with no claims or accidents pay less in comparison to drivers with a long claim history.
- Save over 55 - Seniors can get better car insurance rates.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, that's just not realistic. But any discount will positively reduce the premium cost.
To see a list of providers offering car insurance discounts in San Jose, follow this link.
Get rate quotes but still have a local San Jose insurance agency
Certain consumers still like to talk to a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Licensed agents are very good at helping people manage risk and give you someone to call. One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is you may find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for local insurance agencies is especially important in San Jose.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents in San Jose who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to even leave your home because prices are sent to your email. If you wish to quote rates from a particular provider, feel free to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
If you want to buy car insurance from a local San Jose insurance agency, it's helpful to know the different agency structures that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in San Jose are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either type can sell affordable car insurance policies, but we need to point out why they differ because it can impact which agent you choose.
Independent Car Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent often have affiliation with several companies so they can quote policies with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house which makes it simple for you.
If you are comparing car insurance prices, you need to get quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the most options to choose from.
Shown below are independent agencies in San Jose that can possibly get you cheap rate quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents can only place business with one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate and AAA. These agents are unable to provide other company's prices so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below are exclusive agencies in San Jose willing to provide rate quotes.
Reed Sparks - State Farm Insurance Agent
3119 Alum Rock Ave - San Jose, CA 95127 - (408) 923-2055 - View Map
Deciding on an insurance agency is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. These are valid questions to ask:
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- How long has their agency been open in San Jose?
If you get good answers to any questions you have as well as an affordable premium quote, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that meets your needs to service your policy.
Beware of misleading car insurance ads
Consumers in California constantly see and hear ads for car insurance savings from the likes of Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. All the ads convey the message that you'll save big just by moving your coverage to them.
It sounds good, but how can they all offer drivers better rates? This is the way they can do it.
Car insurance companies have underwriting criteria for a prospective insured that is profitable for them. For instance, this type of driver could be between 30 and 50, has a clear driving record, and drives a safe vehicle. Any customer that matches those criteria will probably get the lowest prices and as a result will probably save some money.
People who don't qualify for these criteria will see more expensive rates and this can result in business not being written. Company advertisements say "customers who switch" not "all people who quote" can save as much as they claim. That's why insurance companies can confidently make claims like that.
Because each company has a different risk profile, drivers should do a price quote comparison at every renewal. It is impossible to predict the company that will have the best auto insurance rates for your profile.
You may need specialized auto insurance coverage
When it comes to buying coverage online or from an agent, there really is no one size fits all plan. Your financial needs are unique and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. These are some specific questions could help you determine whether or not you could use an agent's help.
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in California?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- Is my Chevy Silverado covered for flood damage?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It's fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
More effort can pay off
As you restructure your insurance plan, it's a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best possible price, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
We covered many ways to compare Chevy Silverado insurance car insurance rates in San Jose. It's most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive San Jose auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest car insurance rates are with a smaller regional carrier. Smaller companies may only write in your state and offer lower premium rates as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
To read more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Quotes for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Kia Forte in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Rates for Teenagers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in California? (FAQ)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)