Finding cheaper insurance for a new or used Chevy Colorado in California can turn out to be an all-consuming task, but you can use our car insurance buying tips to make it easier. There is a better way to buy car insurance and we'll show you the absolute fastest way to quote coverages for your Chevy and locate the lowest price from San Jose insurance agents and online providers.
Unfortunately, a large majority of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and nearly the majority have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. San Jose insurance shoppers could save about 35% each year just by shopping around, but most just don't grasp the amount of savings they would get if they moved their coverage to a different company.
It's a great practice to compare premium rates as often as possible because car insurance prices are usually higher with each renewal. Just because you had the best deal on Chevy Colorado insurance in San Jose a year ago there may be better deals available now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because it's time to teach you the quickest way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Chevy Colorado Insurance Rate Factors
Multiple criteria are considered when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious like your driving record, although some other factors are less obvious like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
Guys pay higher prices - Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Both sexes are in fender benders at about the same rate, but guys tend to have higher claims. They also receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving.
The higher your credit history the lower your costs - An insured's credit history factor in calculating your insurance rates. If your credit rating could use some work, you could save money insuring your Chevrolet Colorado by repairing your credit. Drivers with high credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than those with worse credit.
Raise coverage deductibles and save - The deductibles define how much you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, insures against damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims would be colliding with a stationary object, collision with a deer, or theft of your vehicle. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less money you will pay for insurance.
Premiums and your address - Having an address in less populated areas of the country is a good thing if you are looking for the lowest rates. Residents of big cities tend to have congested traffic and higher rates of accident claims. Fewer drivers means less chance of accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
High premiums for youthful drivers - Inexperience drivers have been known to be inattentive in a vehicle therefore insurance rates are much higher. Having to add a inexperienced driver onto your insurance can really hurt. More mature drivers are more responsible, cause fewer claims and accidents, and get fewer tickets.
A policy lapse can increase prices - Driving with no insurance is a misdemeanor and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage lapse. In addition to paying higher rates, getting caught without coverage may earn you fines or a revoked license.
Only buy what you need - Insurance companies have many extra bells and whistles that you can buy on your insurance policy. Coverage for things like vanishing deductibles, high-cost glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage are probably not needed. They may sound like good ideas when you first buy your policy, but if you don't need them consider taking them off your policy.
Drive fewer miles and save - The higher the mileage driven in a year's time the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies rate vehicles based on how the vehicle is used. Autos not used for work or commuting qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Colorado is just wasting money. It's a smart idea to ensure your declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle.
Loss probability for a Chevy Colorado - Insurance companies include the past claim history for a vehicle to calculate a price that will offset losses. Models that have increased losses will have higher premium rates. The data below shows the insurance loss data for Chevy Colorado vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is represented as 100. Values that are 100 or less indicate a favorable loss history, while values over 100 indicate frequent claims or tendency to have larger claims.
Chevrolet Colorado Insurance Loss Statistics
|Specific Chevrolet Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 2WD||73||57||64|
|Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4WD||90||89||86||67|
|Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 2WD||55|
|Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 4WD||67|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in San Jose, CA. To get cheap car insurance in California, we suggest you click on several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$242||$582||$500||$30||$150||$1,504||$125|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$298||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,474||$123|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$208||$374||$394||$24||$118||$1,118||$93|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$256||$570||$416||$24||$124||$1,390||$116|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$232||$430||$488||$28||$146||$1,324||$110|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$238||$454||$424||$26||$128||$1,270||$106|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Estimates do not factor in specific zip code location which can raise or lower premiums significantly.
Chevrolet Colorado insurance rates: Men versus women
The diagram below compares Chevrolet Colorado insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The rates are based on no violations or accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Where to set your deductibles
The example below shows how choosing a deductible and can affect Chevrolet Colorado insurance premiums for different age groups of insureds. The premium estimates are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, and no other discounts are factored in.
Insurance advertising gotchas
Consumers constantly see and hear ads that claim the lowest premium rates by companies like Allstate and Progressive. All the companies make the point about saving some big amount if you change your policy.
It sounds good, but how can they all sell you cheaper insurance coverage? It's all in the numbers.
All the different companies quote their best rates for the type of customer that will add to their bottom line. An example of this type of risk profile might be described as between 30 and 50, carries high limits, and insures a new vehicle. A customer who fits that profile will get low rates and therefore will save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who do not match those criteria will see a more expensive rate which results in the prospect going elsewhere. The trick is to say "drivers that switch" not "everybody who quotes" save that much when switching. That's why companies can truthfully advertise the savings. That is why you absolutely need to compare rate quotes every year. Because you never know which company will have the best car insurance rates for your profile.
Auto insurance just makes sense
Despite the high cost, insuring your vehicle is required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Colorado has a loan, almost every bank will require that you buy full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your Chevy at a more expensive rate and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects not only your Chevy Colorado but also your financial assets. It will also reimburse you for most medical and hospital costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying auto insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays more than $700 annually so you should quote rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
San Jose insurance discounts for a Chevy Colorado
Some insurance providers don't always publicize every discount they offer in an easy-to-find place, so we break down both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts that you may qualify for.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars with ABS and/or traction control can avoid accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Payment Discounts - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Early Signing - Some auto insurance companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current Colorado insurance policy expiration. You could save around 10% when you buy San Jose auto insurance online.
- Clubs and Organizations - Joining qualifying employment or professional organizations may earn a discount on your policy.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Insuring a vehicle that is new can be considerably cheaper because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Good Students Pay Less - A discount for being a good student could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. The good student discount can last until age 25.
Discounts lower rates, but most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that's just not realistic. But any discount will cut the amount you pay for coverage.
The best auto insurance companies and their possible discounts can be found below.
- GEICO has discounts for anti-theft, defensive driver, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife offers discounts including defensive driver, good student, multi-policy, claim-free, good driver, and accident-free.
- State Farm discounts include safe vehicle, good student, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, and driver's education.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for good student, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, homeowner, online signing, and multi-vehicle.
- Mercury Insurance may include discounts for low natural disaster claims, good student, accident-free, location of vehicle, anti-theft, and good driver.
- 21st Century includes discounts for driver training, automatic seat belts, student driver, early bird, and air bags.
- Allstate has savings for passive restraint, teenSMART discount, EZ pay plan discount, anti-lock brakes, 55 and retired, and good student.
Double check with every insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts listed above might not be available to policyholders in your state. If you would like to view companies who offer free Chevy Colorado insurance quotes in California, click here to view.
Shop online but buy locally
Many drivers just prefer to go talk to an agent and that is a smart decision Professional agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you can get the lowest rates and also buy local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, the quote information is transmitted to local insurance agents who can give free rate quotes for your business. It's much easier because you don't need to contact any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent directly to your email. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, feel free to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Picking an company requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. These are valid questions to ask:
- Is there a local claims center in San Jose?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Is the agency active in community causes in San Jose?
Pick the best car insurance agent in San Jose for you
When looking for a local San Jose insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Car insurance agents in San Jose can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can write car insurance policies, but it's good to learn the difference in how they write coverage because it can factor into buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so it's a take it or leave it situation. They are well trained on what they offer which helps them sell on service rather than price. Consumers often use the same agent primarily because of loyalty to the company and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agents in San Jose that can give you comparison quotes.
- Steve Sosnowski - State Farm Insurance Agent
841 Blossom Hill Rd #102 - San Jose, CA 95123 - (408) 629-4700 - View Map
- Jim Edington - State Farm Insurance Agent
361 Piercy Rd - San Jose, CA 95138 - (408) 225-2463 - View Map
- Gary Sanchez - State Farm Insurance Agent
2053 Lincoln Ave a - San Jose, CA 95125 - (408) 269-5001 - View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents often have affiliation with several companies so as a result can place your coverage with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, the business is moved internally and you don't have to find a new agent. When comparing rates, you need to get insurance quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to maximize your price options. They also have the ability to place coverage with companies that do not advertise much which may have better rates.
Below is a list of independent agents in San Jose who can help you get price quotes.
- Khalsa Insurance Agency
3750 McKee Rd A - San Jose, CA 95127 - (408) 272-2500 - View Map
- All Coverage Insurance Agency
3033 Moorpark Ave #27 - San Jose, CA 95128 - (408) 244-9100 - View Map
- San Jose Insurance
2542 S Bascom Ave - Campbell, CA 95008 - (408) 371-3700 - View Map
Once you have answers to your satisfaction and an acceptable price quote, you may have found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide car insurance. Just be aware that it's your policy and you can cancel coverage whenever you wish so don't assume you're contractually obligated to a policy for any length of time.
There's no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
When quoting and choosing the best auto insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really isn't a one size fits all plan. Everyone's needs are different and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For instance, these questions might point out whether or not you may require specific advice.
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Am I covered if I break a side mirror?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- What is an SR-22 filing?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Should I file a claim if it's only slightly more than my deductible?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- What is glass protection for?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Don't give up on affordable rates
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, an insured dropped physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big error on their part. Your objective should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
Some companies may not have rate quotes online and usually these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies. Budget-friendly car insurance in San Jose is definitely available on the web as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best rate selection.
Additional information can be found below:
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in San Bernardino, California? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Riverside, CA? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes in California? (FAQ)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)