Would you like an easy way to compare more affordable auto insurance rates in San Mateo, CA? Finding better insurance prices for a car in California can be a lot of work, but you can learn these tips to make it easier. There are more efficient ways to find auto insurance online and we'll show you the best way to get price quotes for a and get the lowest price from both online companies and San Mateo agents.
A recent survey discovered that over 70% of consumers kept buying from the same company for well over three years, and almost half have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. With the average premium in California being $1,387, drivers can cut their rates by almost 35% a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they just don't want to compare rates online.
If you already have coverage or are shopping for new coverage, you can use this information to find better prices without reducing coverage. Comparing rates for affordable protection in San Mateo is not as hard as you may think. Smart shoppers just need to understand the quickest way to compare insurance rates instantly.
Finding a lower price on insurance is a fairly straight forward process. The only thing you need to do is invest a little time to compare rates to see which company has cheap San Mateo car insurance quotes.
The following companies have been selected to offer comparison quotes in California. To find cheap auto insurance in California, we suggest you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,006||$503||$84|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT 2WD||$1,538||$769||$128|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$1,500||$750||$125|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$1,678||$839||$140|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$1,266||$633||$106|
|Ford Edge SE AWD||$1,358||$679||$113|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,228||$614||$102|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$1,604||$802||$134|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,702||$851||$142|
|Ford Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,676||$838||$140|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,094||$547||$91|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$1,290||$645||$108|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,158||$579||$97|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L||$1,638||$819||$137|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,672||$836||$139|
|Mazda 3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Hatchback||$1,710||$855||$143|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,026||$513||$86|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,418||$709||$118|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,284||$642||$107|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Prices do not factor in specific zip code location which can influence auto insurance rates considerably.
Annual premiums for males compared to females
The example below shows the comparison of insurance costs for male and female drivers in San Mateo. The data is based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium on a Ford Focus SES.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three reasons to insure your vehicle
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at a much higher rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying over $750 every year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Slick advertising tricks that work
Consumers constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings for switching from companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Progressive. All the ads say the same thing about how much you will save if you change to them.
It sounds good, but how can they all offer drivers better rates? It's all in the numbers.
All companies require specific criteria for the type of driver that earns them the most money. One example of a desirable risk might be described as a married male, insures multiple vehicles, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. Any driver that fits those parameters will most likely get cheap rates and as a result will probably save if they switch.
Insureds who cannot meet these criteria will probably be forced to pay a more expensive rate which translates to the customer buying from someone else. If you pay attention, the ads say "people that switch" but not "all drivers who get quotes" will save that much if they switch. That is how insurance companies can confidently make those statements. This emphasizes why you really need to compare free San Mateo car insurance quotes often. You cannot predict which insurance company will have the best rates at this point in time.
Score discounts to get cheaper San Mateo insurance quotes
Car insurance companies don't always publicize all their discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the list below details both the well known and the harder-to-find ways to save on insurance.
- Employee of Federal Government - Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify for a discount when you quote San Mateo car insurance with a few insurance companies.
- Military Discounts - Being deployed in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- College Student - Children who attend college more than 100 miles from San Mateo without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Waiver for an Accident - Not necessarily a discount, but certain companies may permit one accident without the usual rate increase if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Bundle and Save - If you can bundle your auto and homeowners insurance with one insurance company you may earn at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Buying coverage for multiple cars with the same insurance company could earn a price break for each car.
- Low Mileage - Driving less could qualify for better insurance rates on cars that stay parked.
- Discounts for Good Drivers - Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- Professional Memberships - Joining a qualifying organization could earn you a nice discount on insurance.
- Good Grades Discount - Being a good student can save 20 to 25%. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
A quick disclaimer, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy. But any discount will help reduce your premiums.
Auto insurance companies that may offer quotes with many of the previously listed discounts include:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in your area. To locate insurance companies who offer free insurance quotes in San Mateo, click here to view.
Do I need an insurance agent?
A small number of people still like to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! Most agents can help you choose the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. A good thing about comparing rates online is that you can find better rates and also buy local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your insurance data is transmitted to companies in San Mateo that can provide free San Mateo car insurance quotes for your business. There is no need to even leave your home because prices are sent to you instantly. If you want to compare prices from a specific car insurance provider, just jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurer should depend on more than just a cheap quote. Any agent in San Mateo should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
When finding a local San Mateo insurance agency, it's important to understand the different agency structures and how they are slightly different. Car insurance agencies are categorized either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either can handle car insurance, but it's good to learn the differences since it can affect your selection of an agent.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive are contracted to one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. They usually cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents receive extensive training in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers frequently purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of the brand legacy and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
These agents do not have single company limitations so they can insure your vehicles through many different car insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a cheaper price, they can switch companies in-house without you having to go to a different agency. If you are comparing car insurance prices, you need to check rates from several independent agencies to maximize your price options. Most can insure with mutual insurance companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
How to know if you need help
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone's needs are different.
For example, these questions could help you determine if you might need an agent's assistance.
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- What can I do if my company won't pay a claim?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Does coverage follow the driver or the vehicle?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and may give you better protection.
Find cheap rates by being thorough
Low-cost auto insurance in San Mateo is possible both online as well as from independent agents in San Mateo, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies may not offer rate quotes online and these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Consumers leave their current company for any number of reasons including denial of a claim, high rates after DUI convictions, being labeled a high risk driver and even poor customer service. It doesn't matter what your reason, finding a new auto insurance company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
We covered many tips how you can reduce auto insurance car insurance rates online in San Mateo. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
Additional detailed information can be read by following these links: