Would you like to find the cheapest auto insurance rates in Carson, CA? Have you had enough of robbing Peter to pay Paul to insure your vehicles every month? You're in the same situation as the majority of other people in California.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, the vast majority of consumers kept buying from the same company for well over three years, and just under half have never taken the time to shop around. Carson insurance shoppers could save about $470 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don't understand how simple it is to compare rate quotes online.
Online insurance companies like State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate increase brand awareness with TV and radio ads and it is difficult to not get sucked in by the cute commercials and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you're already insured, you will most likely be able to get lower rates using these techniques. Locating the most cost-effective car insurance policy in Carson is actually not that difficult if you follow our advice. But California consumers should learn how big insurance companies market insurance on the web because rates are impacted by many factors.
Insurance discounts are available for cheaper rates
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there are discounts available that you may not even know about. A few discounts will automatically apply when you get a quote, but a few must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Active Military Service - Having an actively deployed family member can result in better insurance rates.
- Student in College - Youth drivers living away from Carson attending college and leave their car at home can receive lower rates.
- Anti-theft System - Cars that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently so companies will give you a small discount.
- Government Employees - Employees or retirees of the government may reduce rates when you quote Carson auto insurance but check with your company.
- Switch and Save Discount - A few larger companies offer discounts for signing up before your current coverage expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Passive Restraints - Vehicles with factory air bags can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Drive Less and Save - Maintaining low annual mileage could be rewarded with cheaper insurance rates.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Drivers who insure several vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- New Car Discount - Insuring a vehicle that is new can save up to 30% because new model year vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Safety Course Discount - Taking part in a class that teaches defensive driver techniques is a good idea and can lower rates depending on where you live.
Discounts lower rates, but many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
To find insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in California, click here.
How to find low cost insurance in Carson, California
Just keep in mind that comparing a wide range of rates gives you a better chance of getting better pricing.
The companies shown below can provide quotes in California. To get cheaper car insurance in California, it's highly recommended you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$1,396||$698||$116|
|Chevrolet Malibu LS||$1,166||$583||$97|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$1,444||$722||$120|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$1,834||$917||$153|
|Ford Edge Sport AWD||$1,280||$640||$107|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Ford F-150 XL Super Cab 2WD||$1,066||$533||$89|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,528||$764||$127|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$992||$496||$83|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$966||$483||$81|
|Honda Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,210||$605||$101|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Hatchback||$1,124||$562||$94|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,612||$806||$134|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,552||$776||$129|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,102||$551||$92|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can modify premium rates significantly.
Annual premiums comparing men and women
The diagram below shows the difference between auto insurance rates for male and female drivers in Carson. The data is based on no accidents, no driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no other discounts are factored in on a Chevrolet Malibu LS.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Do you need full coverage?
The example below shows the comparison of Kia Optima premium costs with and without physical damage coverage. The rates are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no exact formula of when to phase out physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Kia Optima replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $7,000 after you pay the deductible. If it's costing in excess of $700 a year for physical damage coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some circumstances where buying only liability insurance is not recommended. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Why your cost might be higher
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that are used to determine the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that may result in much lower annual insurance costs. Many things are considered when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, although others are less apparent like where you live and annual miles driven.
The factors shown below are some of the major factors used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Youthful drivers cost more - Youthful drivers in California are known to be less responsible in a vehicle so car insurance rates are higher. If you've ever had to add a teen driver to your policy can be very expensive. Older insureds are shown to be more cautious, statistically cause fewer accidents, and are generally more financially stable.
- Do you work long hours in a tough occupation? - Jobs such as military generals, executives and emergency personnel have higher premiums than the average policyholder in part from intense work situations and lots of time spent away from family. Other careers like farmers, historians and the unemployed generally pay rates lower than average.
- Reduce prices by driving vehicles with better crash test results - Cars with high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety have better occupant injury protection and reduced instances of injuries translates directly to fewer claims which can result in lower premiums.
- Excellent credit scores equal low premiums - Credit score can be an important factor in determining your rates. People that have excellent credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than those with lower credit scores. So if your credit score can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your vehicle by repairing your credit.
- Little extras can really add up - There are a ton of extra add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your policy. Things like replacement cost coverage, towing coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships are examples of these. You may think they are a good idea when talking to your agent, but if you've never needed them in the past remove them from your policy.
Everyone needs different auto insurance coverages
When quoting and comparing coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's so your insurance needs to address that. For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
- What is GAP insurance?
- When should I remove my kid from my policy?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Three reasons to not skimp on auto insurance
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance is required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having auto insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average American driver overpays more than $830 a year so it's recommended you shop around every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Shop smart and save
We just covered a lot of techniques to save on auto insurance in Carson. It's most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may even discover the lowest prices are with some of the lesser-known companies. Smaller companies often have lower rates on specific markets compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
When you buy Carson auto insurance online, it's very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The goal is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Even more information is located in these articles:
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Glendale, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Car Insurance for Real Estate Agents? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Welfare Recipients in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry in California? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)