Expensive car insurance in Soledad can drain your bank account and require stricter spending habits. Shopping your coverage around is an excellent way to lower your bills every month.
A recent car insurance study revealed that over 70% of consumers have remained with the same car insurance company for at least the last four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Soledad insurance shoppers could save nearly 35% every year, but they assume it's a waste of time to compare rates online.
Online insurance companies like GEICO, 21st Century and Progressive constantly blast consumers with ads and it is difficult to see past the corporate glitz and take the time to shop coverage around.
Components of your insurance policy prices
Lots of things are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, although others are less obvious such as your credit history or your commute time.
Listed below are a few of the things companies use to determine your premiums.
- Compare rates if you consolidate your policies - Many car insurance companies allow discounts to clients who carry more than one policy. It's known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you may still want to check prices from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still be able to save even more than the discount by buying from different companies
- Drive lots and pay more - The more you drive your car in a year's time the more it will cost to insure it. A lot of companies calculate rates based on how the vehicle is used. Autos that sit idle most of the time can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Double check that your vehicle rating correctly shows the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
- Lower rates come with age - Beginning drivers in California have a tendency to be easily distracted when driving with friends therefore car insurance rates are much higher. Mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
- Car insurance lapses lead to higher rates - Driving any period of time without insurance is illegal and as a result your rates will increase for letting your insurance lapse for non-payment. And not only will your rates increase, not being able to provide proof of insurance could earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. Then you may be required to file a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department.
- Your car's features help determine prices - Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you some money. Advanced theft deterrents like GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
- Tickets and citations cost more than a fine - Your driving citation history can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Drivers who don't get tickets get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Just one moving violation may cause rates to rise by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have severe violations like DUI or willful reckless driving may be required to submit a SR-22 form with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Getting married can lower costs - Being married can get you a discount compared to being single. Having a spouse may mean you are more mature and responsible and insurance companies like that drivers who are married are more cautious.
All major car insurance companies such as State Farm and Allstate allow you to get pricing on their websites. Getting online quotes is possible for anyone as you simply type in the coverages you want on the page. After you complete the form, the quote system gets your driving record and credit report and provides a quote based on the data you entered. Being able to quote online simplifies rate comparisons, and it's absolutely necessary to do this in order to find the most affordable premium on car insurance.
In order to compare rates using this form now, take a look at the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you complete the form with deductibles and limits identical to your current policy. This guarantees you are getting a price comparison using the exact same coverages.
The providers in the list below provide free rate quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 4WD||$992||$496||$83|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 2WD||$1,710||$855||$143|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,296||$648||$108|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$2,226||$1,113||$186|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$1,336||$668||$111|
|Ford F-150 STX Regular Cab 4WD||$1,648||$824||$137|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,798||$899||$150|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,428||$714||$119|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,468||$734||$122|
|Honda Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,634||$817||$136|
|Hyundai Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$2,006||$1,003||$167|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,532||$766||$128|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,324||$662||$110|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Estimates do not factor in specific location which can impact prices considerably.
Higher deductibles lower rates
One common question asked by Soledad drivers is which deductibles should you choose. The data tables below summarize the premium difference of buying low and high insurance deductibles. The first data set uses a $250 deductible for physical damage and the second data table uses a $500 deductible.
GMC Acadia rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Acadia SL 2WD||$298||$472||$442||$26||$132||$1,395||$116|
|Acadia SL AWD||$342||$472||$442||$26||$132||$1,439||$120|
|Acadia SLE 2WD||$342||$472||$442||$26||$132||$1,439||$120|
|Acadia SLE AWD||$342||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,543||$129|
|Acadia SLT 2WD||$342||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,543||$129|
|Acadia SLT AWD||$386||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,587||$132|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Acadia SL 2WD||$242||$382||$442||$26||$132||$1,224||$102|
|Acadia SL AWD||$278||$382||$442||$26||$132||$1,260||$105|
|Acadia SLE 2WD||$278||$382||$442||$26||$132||$1,260||$105|
|Acadia SLE AWD||$278||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,342||$112|
|Acadia SLT 2WD||$278||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,342||$112|
|Acadia SLT AWD||$314||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,378||$115|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location information which can influence prices greatly.
Based on the data above, we can derive that using a $250 deductible costs roughly $15 more each month or $180 each year than choosing the higher $500 deductible. Since the policyholder would be required to pay $250 more if you turn in a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you normally go at a minimum 17 months between claims, you would probably be better off if you choose the higher deductible.
Poor driving habits will raise your auto insurance rates
The illustration below demonstrates how speeding tickets and fender-benders raise Hyundai Sonata auto insurance rates for each different age group. The data assumes a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The information below illustrates the difference between Honda Civic insurance rates when comparing full coverage to liability only. The premium estimates are based on no violations or claims, $250 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no specific rule for eliminating full coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than about 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Honda Civic replacement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $8,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying more than $800 annually for your policy with full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good idea. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Why you need to buy car insurance
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Soledad, insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will force you to have insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the lender may insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It also can pay for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. As of last year, the average driver in California is wasting up to $810 a year so you should quote rates at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Take advantage of every auto insurance discount
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there's a good chance there are discounts that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested before you get the savings. If you're not getting every credit possible, you are just wasting money.
- Renewal Discounts - Some larger companies reward drivers for buying a policy before your current policy expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Braking Control Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have anti-lock braking systems can stop better under adverse conditions so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices help deter theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Drive Less and Save - Fewer annual miles could qualify for slightly better auto insurance rates than normal.
- Federal Employees - Federal government employees could cut as much as 10% off depending on your company.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Cut your cost by having your teen driver take driver's ed class if it's offered in school.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, it's just not the way it works.
Some companies that possibly offer some of the discounts shown above are:
If you are trying to find affordable Soledad car insurance quotes, ask every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. A few discounts may not apply to policies in every state. To locate insurance companies with significant discounts in California, click here.
What if I want to buy from local Soledad insurance agents?
A lot of people would rather sit down and talk to an agent and doing so can bring peace of mind A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this short form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will give you quotes to get your business. It's much easier because you don't need to drive around because prices are sent to your email. You can find better rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you want to compare rates from a specific company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurer should depend on more than just a cheap price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- What discounts might you be missing?
- How long has their agency been in business in Soledad?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
If you need to find a local agent, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they work. Agents in Soledad are categorized either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel write business for a single company like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot shop your coverage around so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent often have many company appointments and that is an advantage because they can write policies with any number of different companies and get you the best rates possible. To move your coverage to a new company, the business is moved internally and the insured can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, you definitely need to get quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
After getting acceptable answers for all questions you ask as well as an affordable premium quote, you may have found an auto insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide insurance.
Quote more to save more
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price.
In this article, we covered a lot of ways to lower your auto insurance car insurance rates in Soledad. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small mutual company. These smaller insurers may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Lower-priced auto insurance in Soledad is attainable both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who may not have online quoting and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent agents.
Even more information is available in these articles:
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Police Officers in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Kia Forte in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Cruze? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Subaru Forester in California? (FAQ)
- How Much is California Car Insurance for a Dodge Ram? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry in California? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don't curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)