Are you burned out from scraping nickels together to insure your vehicles every month? Your situation is no different than millions of other consumers.
Shocking but true, nearly 70% of drivers have purchased from the same company for four years or more, and just under half have never compared insurance rates at all. California drivers could save up to $469 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they just assume it's a time-consuming process to do a rate comparison.
Companies like GEICO, 21st Century and Progressive continually bombard you with ad campaigns and it can be hard to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
When shopping for inexpensive Modesto car insurance quotes, there are a couple of ways to compare quotes from companies that offer auto insurance in California. The easiest way to comparison shop involves getting comparison quotes online.
Comparing quotes online is fast and free, and it makes it a waste of time to spend time driving to all the different insurance agencies. Comparing auto insurance rate quotes online makes this unnecessary unless you're the type of person who wants the advice and guidance that you can only get from talking to an agent. If you prefer, some companies allow you to comparison shop your insurance online but buy from a local Modesto insurance agent.
Just remember that comparing more prices helps you find more affordable rates. Some companies don't provide rate quotes online, so it's necessary to compare prices from them as well.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price quotes in California. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in California, we recommend you get price quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,136||$568||$95|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,588||$794||$132|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$1,896||$948||$158|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$1,618||$809||$135|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,776||$888||$148|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$1,366||$683||$114|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$1,284||$642||$107|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,688||$844||$141|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,178||$589||$98|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$1,482||$741||$124|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$2,148||$1,074||$179|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,660||$830||$138|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$1,416||$708||$118|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,202||$601||$100|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,424||$712||$119|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road Package 4WD||$1,214||$607||$101|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,124||$562||$94|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in specific zip code location which can change premiums considerably.
Rate comparison of males versus females in Modesto
The information below shows the comparison of insurance costs for male and female drivers in Modesto. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration on a GMC Acadia SLT.
GMC Acadia rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Cheap Modesto car insurance quotes with discounts
Car insurance companies do not advertise the complete list of policy discounts in a way that's easy to find, so here is a list both the well known and the more hidden credits available to bring down your rates.
- College Student Discount - Children who live away from home at college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Club Memberships - Being in a civic or occupational organization in Modesto is a simple method to lower premiums on your bill.
- Accident Forgiveness - Not really a discount, but certain companies will forgive one accident before they charge you more for coverage if your claims history is clear for a specific time period.
- Defensive Driver - Taking part in a defensive driver class can save you 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Low Miles Discount - Maintaining low annual mileage can qualify you for slightly better car insurance rates than normal.
- Sign Early and Save - Select companies give a discount for buying a policy before your current expiration date. It could save around 10% when you buy Modesto car insurance online.
Keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
A list of companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- State Farm discounts include good student, multiple policy, defensive driving training, multiple autos, and student away at school.
- GEICO may offer discounts for defensive driver, good student, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, and federal employee.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for safety features, multi-car, new graduate, new vehicle discount, newly retired, newly married, and new move discount.
- The Hartford offers discounts including bundle, good student, anti-theft, driver training, air bag, vehicle fuel type, and defensive driver.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including claim-free, multi-policy, good student, accident-free, defensive driver, and good driver.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-policy, online quote discount, continuous coverage, good student, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Savings might not be offered in Modesto.
Find cheaper insurance with these tips
Many things are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, but some are more transparent such as your marital status or how financially stable you are. One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the factors that help determine your premiums. When consumers understand what determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that could result in lower insurance prices.
- Traffic violations will cost you - How you drive can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Having just one speeding ticket can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers get better prices than bad drivers. Drivers with license-revoking citations such as DUI or reckless driving may need to submit a SR-22 form with their state's licensing department in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Excellent credit means lower costs - A driver's credit history will be a significant factor in determining premium rates. If your credit history is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle by repairing your credit. People with good credit tend to be more responsible than those with lower credit ratings.
- Don't cut corners with liability coverage - Liability coverage will protect you when you are determined to be liable for damages from an accident. It will provide for a legal defense which can cost a lot. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Extra policy coverages may not be needed - There are quite a few additional coverages that sound like a good idea at the time if you aren't diligent. Things like rental car reimbursement, towing, and Farm Bureau memberships are probably not needed. The coverages may be enticing when talking to your agent, but if you have no use for them think about removing them and cutting costs.
- Rates and vocation - Occupations such as real estate brokers, social workers and stock brokers are shown to have higher premium rates due to intense work situations and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, occupations such as farmers, historians and performers have lower than average premiums.
What if I want to buy from local Modesto car insurance agents?
Some people just want to sit down with an agent and doing that can be a smart decision The best thing about comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes but also keep your business local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information gets sent to companies in Modesto that can provide free Modesto car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact any insurance agencies because prices are sent to the email address you provide. You can most likely find cheaper rates without a big time investment. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, you can always visit that company's website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choosing the best company should include more criteria than just the price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in California?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- How long have they been in business?
- What companies can they write with?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
If you want to use a local agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Modesto agents are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only write with one company such as State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents are unable to compare other company's rates so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable in insurance sales and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles through many companies and get the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you stay with the same agent.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you definitely need to include price quotes from several independent insurance agents to maximize your price options.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
Always remember that when buying coverage online or from an agent, there really is no "best" method to buy coverage. Your situation is unique.
For example, these questions can help discover if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- How much liability coverage do I need in California?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in California?
- What if a claim settlement is too low?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
If you can't answer these questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Persistence will pay off
When shopping online for auto insurance, it's a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, someone sacrificed full coverage only to discover later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price.
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including questionable increases in premium, policy cancellation, policy non-renewal and even unfair underwriting practices. Whatever your reason, finding a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to find cheaper coverage online. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the best price on auto insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies.
More information can be read on the following sites:
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Garden Grove, California? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Riverside, CA? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Subaru Forester in California? (FAQ)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Determing Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)