Sick and tired of not being able to scrape enough together to pay auto insurance each month? You are no different than many other California consumers.
A recent auto insurance study discovered that over 70% of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,390, San Jose drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most tend to underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they switch to a new company.
There is such a variety of auto insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it's nice to have multiple companies, so many choices can make it hard to find the lowest cost provider for Honda CR-V insurance in San Jose.
It's a great practice to check auto insurance prices as often as possible because prices change regularly. Just because you had the best deal on Honda CR-V insurance in San Jose six months ago other companies may now be cheaper. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because we're going to show you how to quote online to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Quoting and buying the best coverage in San Jose is not as time-consuming as you think. In essence, every vehicle owner who is shopping for insurance should get better rates. But California car owners can benefit from knowing the methods companies use to determine how much to charge because rates are impacted by many factors.
Low-cost Honda insurance price quotes in San Jose
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in San Jose, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to get the most competitive price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|CR-V LX 2WD||$268||$470||$508||$30||$152||$1,428||$119|
|CR-V EX 2WD||$236||$438||$454||$26||$136||$1,290||$108|
|CR-V LX 4WD||$318||$638||$488||$28||$146||$1,618||$135|
|CR-V EX 4WD||$434||$564||$492||$30||$148||$1,668||$139|
|CR-V EX-L 2WD||$346||$520||$386||$22||$116||$1,390||$116|
|CR-V EX-L 4WD||$346||$520||$386||$22||$116||$1,390||$116|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in San Jose location which can raise or lower insurance rates considerably.
Impact of age and gender on car insurance rates
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Honda CR-V insurance prices for male and female drivers. The premiums assume a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in.
Lower Insurance Rates with These Tips
Lots of factors are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, but others are not as apparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating. Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that go into determining your premiums. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find lower rates.
The items below are most of the major factors used by your company to calculate premiums.
Bundle policies and save money - Some companies afford better rates to policyholders who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, it's in your best interest to comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
Policy add-ons can waste money - There are a lot of additional coverages that sound like a good idea at the time on your CR-V policy. Add-on coverages like personal injury protection, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. They may sound like good ideas at first, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so get rid of them and save.
Big cities mean more claims - Being located in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has definite advantages when it comes to auto insurance. Drivers who live in large cities have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident.
Drive less and get lower prices - The more you drive annually the more it will cost to insure it. A lot of insurance companies calculate prices based on their usage. Cars that sit idle most of the time qualify for better rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Incorrect rating for your CR-V can cost quite a bit. Make sure your declarations sheet properly reflects the correct driver usage.
Honda CR-V statistical loss data - Insurance companies use claims history to help determine rates. Vehicles that the statistics show to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have increased rates. The table below demonstrates the actual insurance loss data for Honda CR-V vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles compiled together is considered to be 100. Percentages below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values over 100 point to more losses or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Honda CR-V Vehicles
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Honda CR-V 4dr 2WD||68||81||58||93||86||77|
|Honda CR-V 4dr 4WD||69||82||69||90||87||78|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Cheaper rates by taking advantage of discounts
Car insurance companies do not advertise every discount in an easy-to-find place, so the list below contains a few of the more common and also the lesser-known discounts that you can inquire about if you buy San Jose car insurance online. If you aren't receiving every discount you deserve, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Low annual miles may allow you to get cheaper rates.
- No Charge for an Accident - Not necessarily a discount, but companies like State Farm and GEICO will forgive one accident without the usual rate increase with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a specific time period.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Buying a new car instead of a used CR-V can get you a discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Active Military Service - Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
- Organization Discounts - Affiliation with certain professional organizations could qualify you for a break on your bill.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Some larger companies give discounts for buying a policy before your current expiration date. The savings is around 10%.
- Resident Student - Children who are attending college and don't have a car can receive lower rates.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Paper-free Discount - Some insurance companies will give a small break for completing your application over the internet.
- Student Driver Training - Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course in school.
Discounts lower rates, but many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it's just not the way it works.
Insurance companies that may include some of the above discounts may include but are not limited to:
Before you buy a policy, ask every company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in San Jose. To see a list of companies with discount rates in San Jose, click here.
You may require the services of an agent
A small number of people just want to buy from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local insurance agencies is important particularly in San Jose.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, your coverage information is emailed to companies in San Jose who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. You can get cheaper insurance rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, just visit that company's website to submit a rate quote request.
Picking the best company should depend on more than just the price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
Can you really save that much by switching?
Insurance companies such as Allstate and Progressive seem to constantly run television and radio advertisements. All the companies convey the message about saving some big amount if you change your policy. How is it possible that every company can give you a lower rate on Honda CR-V insurance in San Jose? Here is how they do it.
All the different companies quote the lowest rates for the right customer that will be a good risk. An example of a driver they prefer may need to be a married female, has no prior claims, and chooses high deductibles. Someone who matches those parameters will qualify for the lowest car insurance rates in San Jose and will probably save money with a new company.
Drivers who may not quite match this ideal profile may receive a higher rate which usually ends up with the customer not purchasing. The wording the ads use say "people that switch" not "everyone that quotes" save that much money. That is how companies can truthfully claim big savings.
This really emphasizes why drivers must do a rate comparison at every renewal. It's impossible to know the company that will have better rates than you're paying now.
Will just any policy work for me?
Always remember that when buying coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a single plan that fits everyone. Every insured's situation is different.
These are some specific questions might help in determining whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Should I buy full coverage?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Don't give up on cheap rates
We just covered many ways to save on Honda CR-V insurance in San Jose. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. You may even discover the best price on insurance is with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, unfair underwriting practices, being labeled a high risk driver and extreme rates for teen drivers. It doesn't matter what your reason, switching insurance companies can be pretty painless.
Some insurance companies don't offer online rate quotes and usually these small insurance companies sell through independent agencies. Affordable Honda CR-V insurance in San Jose is attainable online and with local San Jose insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
Much more information about insurance in California is located at these links:
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70 in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap California Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 25 in California? (FAQ)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)