I can't think of a single person who likes having to buy car insurance, especially when they know the cost is too high.
Astonishing but true, almost 70% of drivers in California kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for at least the last four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers could save an average of approximately $860 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don't want to spend time to compare rate quotes.
Online insurance companies like GEICO and Progressive constantly blast consumers with advertising and it can be hard to ignore the promise of big savings and take the time to shop coverage around.
Keep in mind that more quotes helps increase your odds of locating a better price. Not every company provides quotes online, so it's recommended that you also compare rates on coverage from those companies, too.
The following companies offer free rate quotes in California. If you want to find cheaper car insurance in California, we suggest you visit as many as you can in order to find the lowest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,848||$924||$154|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$2,022||$1,011||$169|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$1,598||$799||$133|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$2,056||$1,028||$171|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,482||$741||$124|
|Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab 2WD||$1,476||$738||$123|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,278||$639||$107|
|Ford Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,884||$942||$157|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,758||$879||$147|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$1,134||$567||$95|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L W/Rear Entertainment||$1,230||$615||$103|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD||$1,722||$861||$144|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4WD 4-Dr||$1,190||$595||$99|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,902||$951||$159|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,672||$836||$139|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver. Estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can affect premium rates substantially.
Violations and accidents raise rates
The information below demonstrates how citations and accident claims can affect Chevrolet Silverado auto insurance rates for different age groups. The premiums are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Chevrolet Silverado rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Chevrolet Tahoe insurance costs with full phyical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. Data assumes no accidents, no driving violations, $100 deductibles, married male driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
Chevrolet Tahoe rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no definitive rule to delete comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of having full coverage is about 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Chevrolet Tahoe settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company will settle for is $7,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying more than $700 a year to have full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are a few situations where buying only liability insurance is not advised. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
Yearly car insurance costs for men versus women
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of insurance premiums for male and female drivers in Fontana. The data is based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium on a Chevrolet Malibu LS.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Are you obtaining every discount?
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you might find some hidden discounts that many consumers don't even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of quoting, but occasionally some discounts must be asked for before being credited. If you do not double check each discount possible, you're paying more than you need to.
- Waiver for an Accident - This one isn't a discount, but companies like Allstate and State Farm will allow you to have one accident without getting socked with a rate hike if you have no claims for a certain period of time.
- College Student - Any of your kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Active Military Service - Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to analyze driving manner by installing a telematics device like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could save a few bucks if they have good driving habits.
- Government Employee Discount - Employees or retirees of the government could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
- Seat Belt Usage - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off the personal injury premium cost.
- Discount for New Cars - Buying a new car instead of a used car may earn a small discount because newer vehicles are generally safer.
- E-sign - A few larger online companies give back up to $50 for signing up on your computer.
Don't be surprised that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts are outlined below.
- 21st Century offers discounts including theft prevention, automatic seat belts, early bird, homeowners, and teen driver.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for continuous coverage, homeowner, multi-vehicle, online signing, multi-policy, and good student.
- State Farm discounts include Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, and anti-theft.
- Nationwide has discounts for easy pay, multi-policy, anti-theft, defensive driving, accident-free, business or organization, and good student.
- Esurance may offer discounts for Switch & Save, claim free, emergency road assistance, good student, and Pac-12 alumni.
- The Hartford has savings for defensive driver, driver training, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, good student, and bundle.
It's a good idea to ask each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in your area. If you would like to see a list of car insurance companies with significant discounts in Fontana, click here.
Compare rates but buy from a local Fontana insurance agent
A lot of people still prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision A nice benefit of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that drivers can get cheaper car insurance rates and also buy local.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents who can give free rate quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to drive around as quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find the lowest rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you wish to compare prices from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always visit that company's website and give them your coverage information.
Finding a good company should depend on more than just the price. Before buying a policy in Fontana, get answers to these questions.
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage, there really is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone's needs are different.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- Is other people's property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Am I covered if I have no license?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Eight things that affect your rates
Many things are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious like your driving record, although others are more obscure such as your marital status or your financial responsibility. Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that come into play when calculating your car insurance rates. When consumers understand what determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in lower premium levels.
- Less chance of injury means lower premiums - Vehicles with high crash test scores are cheaper to insure. These vehicles reduce injuries and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts which can result in lower premiums.
- Drive less and save - The more you drive your car annually the more it will cost to insure it. Almost all companies price each vehicle's coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting cost less to insure than cars that get driven a lot. Make sure your vehicle rating properly reflects the correct usage.
- High credit scores save money - Having a bad credit score factor in determining what you pay. Insureds with very good credit scores tend to be better risks to insure as compared to drivers with poor credit scores. If your credit score can be improved, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free - If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can pretty much guarantee much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Auto insurance companies in California provide discounts to drivers who only file infrequent claims. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- Eliminate unneeded extra policy coverages - There are quite a few additional coverages that you can buy when buying car insurance. Coverages for rental car coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and membership fees may be costing you every month. They may seem good when discussing your needs, but if they're wasting money eliminate them to save money.
- Decrease premiums by maintaining coverage - Driving with no insurance is against the law and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage have a gap. In addition to paying higher premiums, being ticketed for driving with no insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time. You may have to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the California DMV.
- Is your vehicle theft-ready? - Choosing to buy a car with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can thwart auto theft.
- Marriage is a factor - Having a significant other may cut your premiums on your car insurance policy. Marriage demonstrates that you tend to be more stable financially and it's statistically proven that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Insurance in California serves several purposes
Even though it can be expensive, insuring your vehicle is mandatory in California but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, most banks will require that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at a more expensive rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects your car and your assets. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly for liability claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays as much as $850 per year so compare rates each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
Drivers change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, extreme rates for teen drivers, delays in paying claims or an unsatisfactory settlement offer. No matter why you want to switch, finding the right insurance provider can be less work than you think.
Cost effective insurance is available online in addition to many Fontana insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. Some companies may not have internet price quotes and many times these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent agencies.
As you shop your coverage around, it's a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for College Students in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Altima? (FAQ)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)