How many times have you said it's time to compare more competitive car insurance rates in Oakley, CA? Trying to find better insurance prices for a new or used car in California can be difficult, but you can learn the following methods to make it easier. There are both good and bad ways to shop for car insurance and you need to know the best way to get price quotes on a and locate the cheapest rates either online or from Oakley insurance agents.
It's astonishing, but most car insurance policyholders in California kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. American drivers can save 46.5% each year just by shopping around, but they assume it's a waste of time to go online and compare rates.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Oakley, CA. If your goal is to find the best cheap car insurance in California, we suggest you get prices from several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT 2WD||$1,458||$729||$122|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$1,544||$772||$129|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,178||$589||$98|
|Ford Explorer Limited AWD||$1,192||$596||$99|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$1,368||$684||$114|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,568||$784||$131|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$1,298||$649||$108|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,296||$648||$108|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD||$1,172||$586||$98|
|Kia Optima EX||$2,006||$1,003||$167|
|Mazda 3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,234||$617||$103|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,342||$671||$112|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,230||$615||$103|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Volkswagen Jetta S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Rate quotes do not factor in garaging location in Oakley which can change prices greatly.
Oakley insurance rates: Men versus women
The diagram below illustrates the difference between car insurance costs for male and female drivers in Oakley. The price estimates are based on no violations or accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no additional discounts are factored in on a Ford Focus SEL.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
One of the hardest decisions when shopping for auto insurance is how high should the deductibles for physical damage be. The rates shown below may help to illustrate the costs and benefits of buying low and high insurance deductibles. The first data set uses a $100 comprehensive and collision deductible and the second pricing table uses a $500 deductible.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sentra 2.0 S||$332||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,767||$147|
|Sentra 2.0 SR||$332||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,767||$147|
|Sentra 2.0 SL||$380||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,815||$151|
|Sentra SE-R SPEC V||$380||$932||$442||$26||$132||$1,937||$161|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sentra 2.0 S||$242||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,388||$116|
|Sentra 2.0 SR||$242||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,388||$116|
|Sentra 2.0 SL||$278||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,424||$119|
|Sentra SE-R SPEC V||$278||$630||$442||$26||$132||$1,508||$126|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Table data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in your specific Oakley location which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates significantly.
We can derive from the above data that using a $100 deductible will cost in the ballpark of $31 more each month or $372 every year than selecting the higher $500 deductible. Since you would have to pay $400 more out of your own pocket with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you normally average at least 13 months between claims, you would come out ahead if you elect the higher deductible.
Insurance in California serves several purposes
Despite the potentially high cost of insurance, paying for insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, almost every bank will force you to have insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay to defend you if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle gets damaged, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. An average driver in America overpays as much as $869 every year so shop around once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Smart buyers can cut their car insurance rates
Lots of factors are used when premium rates are determined. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, but some are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating. A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing some of the factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. If you know what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you lower rates.
Shown below are most of the major factors used by companies to determine premiums.
Getting married can save on car insurance - Your spouse can get you a discount on car insurance. Marriage is viewed as being more financially stable and statistics prove married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Is auto insurance cheaper for women or men? - Statistics have proven that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, don't assume that men are WORSE drivers than women. They both are responsible for accidents at about the same rate, but men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically get ticketed for serious violations like DUI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are the most expensive to insure and thus pay the highest rates.
Drive a safer car and pay less - Cars with five star safety ratings cost less to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates. If your car scored at minimum an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you may be receiving a better rate.
No coverage gaps is important - Allowing your coverage to lapse can be a quick way to drive up your policy premiums. And not only will insurance be more expensive, the inability to provide proof of insurance can result in a revoked license or a big fine.
Liability insurance claims can be big - A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance is the coverage that protects you if you are found liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Your liability coverage provides for a legal defense to defend your case. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
Filing policy claims can cost you - If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to either higher rates or even cancellation. Companies in California generally give discounts to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
Slash rates with these discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you can get discounts that may help make it more affordable. A few discounts will automatically apply when you complete an application, but some need to be asked about before being credited.
- Active Service Discounts - Being deployed with a military unit can result in better insurance rates.
- Telematics Devices - Oakley drivers who agree to allow companies to monitor driving patterns remotely like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could see a rate decrease if they show good driving skills.
- One Accident Forgiven - Not really a discount, but companies like GEICO, State Farm, and Progressive will allow you to have one accident without raising rates if you have no claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Smart Student Discounts - Being a good student could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Mature Driver Discount - Drivers over the age of 55 may qualify for reduced rates.
- Accident Free - Insureds with no claims or accidents pay less in comparison to frequent claim filers.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks with the same insurance company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Membership in Organizations - Participating in a civic or occupational organization in Oakley is a good way to get lower rates on insurance.
As a sidenote, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though they make it sound like it's possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies aren't that generous.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts include:
- State Farm may include discounts for driver's education, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, good student, passive restraint, defensive driving training, and multiple policy.
- GEICO offers discounts for multi-policy, anti-theft, air bags, federal employee, and five-year accident-free.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for exclusive group savings, new move discount, safety features, good student, newly married, preferred payment discount, and teen driver discount.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for bundle, good student, vehicle fuel type, air bag, anti-theft, and defensive driver.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including defensive driver, accident-free, good driver, multi-policy, good student, and claim-free.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-policy, online signing, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, homeowner, good student, and online quote discount.
Before buying, ask all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. Savings might not be available to policyholders in Oakley. To find insurers that provide some of the discounts listed above in California, click here to view.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When quoting and choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a "perfect" insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's so this has to be addressed. These are some specific questions could help you determine if you might need professional guidance.
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in California?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
If you can't answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
When to have guidance from an insurance agent
A lot of people still like to buy from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Good agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find lower rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this simple form, your insurance data is submitted to participating agents in Oakley that give free quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to search for an agent because prices are sent directly to you. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, you would need to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right insurer should depend on more than just a cheap price quote. Any good agent in Oakley should know the answers to these questions.
- How are they compensated?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in California?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
If you're trying to find a local insurance agency, there are a couple of different types of agents from which to choose. Agents may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both types can write car insurance policies, but it's good to learn the differences since it can affect which agent you choose.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide pricing for a single company like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot compare other company's rates so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are very knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them sell on service rather than price. Drivers often use the same exclusive agent mainly due to high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel often have many company appointments so they can quote policies with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a lower price, the business is moved internally which is easy for the insured. When comparing rate quotes, you will want to get several quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to maximize your price options. Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies that may provide cheaper car insurance rates.
One last note
As you prepare to switch companies, never buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
Throughout this article, we presented many tips how you can save on auto insurance in Oakley. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers could even find that the best price on auto insurance is with a small local company. These smaller insurers often have lower rates on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
For more information, take a look at the articles below:
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Rates for Handicapped Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Young Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap California Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)