Are you looking for a better way to compare cheaper auto insurance rates in Whittier, CA? Wish you could get out of high-priced auto insurance? Trust us, you are not the only one feeling buyer's remorse.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that the vast majority of consumers have remained with the same auto insurance company for more than four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never quoted rates to find affordable coverage. Whittier drivers could save an average of about 35% each year, but they underestimate how much money they would save if they switched to a more affordable policy.
Consumers have many insurers to purchase coverage from, and although it's a good thing to be able to choose, more options can take longer to compare rates and cut insurance costs.
This article's goal is to teach you the best ways to compare prices and how to save the most money. If you already have coverage, you should be able to find better prices using the techniques covered below. Although California car owners must learn how companies sell insurance online and take advantage of how the system works.
Discounts to earn lower Whittier car insurance rates
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you may qualify for discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time you complete a quote, but some need to be asked for before you will receive the discount. If you aren't receiving every discount available, you're just leaving money on the table.
- Discount for New Cars - Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper since new vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Having multiple cars with the same car insurance company qualifies for this discount.
- Military Rewards - Having an actively deployed family member could mean lower car insurance rates.
- 55 and Retired - Seniors can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- Distant Student - Older children who live away from home at college without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Pay Early and Save - By paying your entire bill at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Early Renewal Discounts - A few insurance companies offer discounts for switching companies early. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Drivers Education - Have your child enroll and complete driver's education if it's offered in school.
- Auto/Life Discount - Not all companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- ABS Brakes - Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
You should keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though you would think it's possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business. Any amount of discount will help reduce your overall premium however.
A few companies that may offer quotes with some of the above discounts are:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts might not be offered in every state. To find car insurance companies with significant discounts in Whittier, click this link.
When price shopping your coverage, more quotes helps improve the odds of finding more affordable rates. Some regional insurers cannot provide online price quotes, so you should also compare rates from those companies as well.
The companies shown below offer price quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$1,676||$838||$140|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$1,146||$573||$96|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,272||$636||$106|
|Ford Explorer XLT AWD||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$1,326||$663||$111|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,716||$858||$143|
|Ford Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,280||$640||$107|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Honda Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,600||$800||$133|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,632||$816||$136|
|Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2-Dr||$1,254||$627||$105|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,664||$832||$139|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,606||$803||$134|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$1,722||$861||$144|
|Toyota Tacoma 2WD||$1,462||$731||$122|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Premium costs do not factor in specific Whittier garaging location which can influence premium rates considerably.
Rate comparison for different deductibles
The illustration below demonstrates how deductible levels and can influence Dodge Ram insurance rates for different categories of driver ages. The rates are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Dodge Ram rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance rate increases from tickets or accidents
The example below highlights how speeding tickets and fender-benders can influence Kia Optima car insurance rates for each different age group. The prices are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Raise deductibles and save
One of the hardest decisions when shopping for car insurance is how high should the physical damage deductibles be. The following insurance rates can help you visualize the cost difference when you choose different physical damage coverage deductibles. The first table uses a $100 comprehensive and collision deductible and the second set of prices uses a $1,000 deductible.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Estimates do not factor in zip code location which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates substantially.
Based on these figures, using a $100 deductible would cost the average driver about $46 more each month or $552 for a full year than quoting the higher $1,000 deductible. Due to the fact that you would have to pay $900 more out-of-pocket with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to go more than 20 months between claims, you would probably be better off by going with a higher deductible.
How to calculate deductible break even period
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$146|
|Average monthly premium for $1,000 deductibles (subtract):||- $100|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$46|
|Difference between deductibles ($1,000 - $100):||$900|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$900 / $46|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||20 months|
One thing to be aware of is that a higher deductible means you will have to pay more out-of-pocket if you have a claim. You must have a higher level of savings in order to pay the higher deductible.
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When buying the best insurance coverage, there is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- How much liability insurance is required?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
If you're not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Are auto insurance agents used anymore?
A lot of people just want to talk to a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from and supporting neighborhood agents is definitely important in Whittier.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents who will give you quotes for your auto insurance coverage. There is no need to search for an agent because prices are sent to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates without a big time investment. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you would need to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Choosing an provider shouldn't rely on just a cheap price quote. Agents should be asked these questions:
- How long have they been in business?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
Once you have good answers to these questions and a good coverage price, you've probably found an insurance company that meets your needs to adequately provide auto insurance.
Persistence is the key to affordable rates
When you buy Whittier auto insurance online, make sure you don't skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut physical damage coverage only to regret they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
We've covered some good ideas how to find cheaper coverage online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the biggest savings come from an unexpected company. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Other learning opportunities
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Honda Civic in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Dodge Journey in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Cruze? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance After a Speeding Ticket in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Fremont, California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Sentra in California? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Stockton, California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Equinox? (FAQ)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)