Has it been a year or more since you last compared quotes for more competitive car insurance rates in Atascadero, CA? Consumers that are new to price shopping insurance coverage online are likely to find purchasing affordable Atascadero car insurance is more work than they thought.
It's hard to fathom, but the vast majority of car insurance customers in California renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared quotes from other companies. American consumers could save themselves roughly $860 a year, but they just don't understand the actual amount they would save if they replace their high priced policy.
Consumers should take time to compare prices at least once a year because prices change frequently. If you had the best price on car insurance six months ago you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because it's time to teach you the quickest way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Atascadero is not that difficult. If you are already insured, you will surely be able to save money using the following tips. Nevertheless, California drivers do need to know the way insurance companies determine prices because rates are impacted by many factors.
Good decisions result in lower rates
One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the factors that help determine insurance rates. If you understand what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with lower rates. Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic like an MVR report, although others are more obscure like your vehicle usage and annual miles driven.
The itemized list below are a partial list of the pieces utilized by car insurance companies to help set your premiums.
- Location can impact price - Residing in areas with lower population can be a good thing when shopping for auto insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. City drivers tend to have traffic congestion and longer commutes to work. Longer commute distances statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
- Teenagers are high risk - More experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and are safer drivers.Young drivers have been known to be careless and easily distracted when at the wheel of a vehicle so they pay higher insurance rates.
- Gender is a factor - Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. It does not mean women are better drivers. Both sexes have at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but men have costlier accidents. Not only that, but men also receive more costly citations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving.
- Theft deterrents lowers insurance rates - Selecting a car model with advanced anti-theft systems can help lower your rates. Systems that thwart theives like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system help track and prevent vehicle theft.
- Less chance of injury means lower insurance rates - Safer cars can get you lower premiums. The safest vehicles protect occupants better and fewer injuries means less claims paid passed on to you as lower rates.
- How much liability do you need? - The liability coverage on your policy kicks in if a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Your policy's liability insurance provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- High deductibles reduce costs - Physical damage deductibles state the amount of money you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. Physical damage protection, also called 'full coverage', covers damage that occurs to your car. Some coverage claims are rearending another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and damage from wind. The more expense the insured is willing to pay, the better rate you will receive.
To find cheap quotes, there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from many different California insurance companies. The best method to find competitive insurance rates is to jump online and get quotes. When quoting car insurance, remember that comparing a wide range of rates will improve the odds of getting a lower rate.
The following companies provide comparison quotes in Atascadero, CA. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you visit several of them to get the most competitive price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD||$1,390||$695||$116|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$2,032||$1,016||$169|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SE||$1,438||$719||$120|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$1,256||$628||$105|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 4WD||$1,414||$707||$118|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,418||$709||$118|
|Ford Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,478||$739||$123|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,094||$547||$91|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$1,028||$514||$86|
|Honda Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,264||$632||$105|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L W/Rear Entertainment||$1,854||$927||$155|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$1,590||$795||$133|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,102||$551||$92|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,164||$582||$97|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,418||$709||$118|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,552||$776||$129|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Estimates do not factor in specific Atascadero garaging location which can decrease or increase price quotes noticeably.
Annual premiums comparing men and women
The information below shows the difference between insurance costs for male and female drivers in Atascadero. The premium estimates are based on no claims or violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in on a Toyota Corolla S.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Policy deductible comparison
The information below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can increase or decrease Ford Fusion insurance costs for different insured age categories. The data is based on a single male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
How much more does full coverage cost in Atascadero?
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Chevrolet Silverado annual premium costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in California. The data is based on no claims or violations, $250 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Chevrolet Silverado rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to drop comp and collision
There isn't a written rule for excluding physical damage coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost of full coverage is 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Chevrolet Silverado book value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $8,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If it's costing in excess of $800 annually to have full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some circumstances where dropping full coverage is not recommended. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to carry full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Car insurance ads are enticing
Big name companies like State Farm and Allstate continually stream television and radio advertisements. All the companies make the same claim about saving some big amount if you move your policy. How is it plausible that every one can charge lower premium rates? This is how they do it.
Different companies have a certain "appetite" for the type of driver they prefer to insure. For instance, this type of driver should be over the age of 45, has no driving citations, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. A driver that hits that "sweet spot" gets the lowest auto insurance rates and will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
People who do not match these criteria will have to pay a higher premium and ends up with the customer buying from a different company. If you pay close attention to the ads, they say "drivers who switch" not "everyone who quotes" save the amount stated. That's why companies can truthfully make it sound like they have such great rates. Because of these techniques, you really need to get Atascadero car insurance quotes from several different companies. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest car insurance in Atascadero.
Best reasons to buy insurance in California
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in Atascadero, paying for insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, more than likely the lender will force you to buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your vehicle for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. The average driver in America is overpaying more than $820 a year so compare rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Insurance discounts help lower rates
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but discounts can save money and there are some available that you may not even be aware of. Certain reductions will be credited when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be asked about prior to getting the savings.
- Save with a New Car - Insuring a new car may earn a small discount because newer models keep occupants safer.
- Defensive Driver - Completing a course that instructs on driving safety could save 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Discount for Life Insurance - If the company offers life insurance, you could get a discounted price on car insurance if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Driver Education Discount - Teen drivers should successfully complete driver's ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Homeowners Savings - Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings since home ownership demonstrates responsibility.
- Theft Deterrent System - Cars optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will qualify for a discount on a Atascadero car insurance quote.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can receive discounts as much as 30%.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Federal government employees could provide a small rate reduction depending on your insurance provider.
We need to note that some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it's just not the way it works.
To view providers that have a full spectrum of discounts in Atascadero, click here to view.
A little work can save a LOT of money
Drivers change insurance companies for many reasons like denial of a claim, poor customer service, questionable increases in premium or extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new company is not as hard as you think.
As you quote Atascadero car insurance, it's very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to buy enough coverage at the lowest possible cost while still protecting your assets.
Cheap insurance in Atascadero is possible from both online companies and from local agencies, and you should compare rates from both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who may not offer the ability to get quotes online and many times these smaller companies sell through local independent agencies.
Additional detailed information can be found by following these links:
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Uninsured Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)