Paying for expensive auto insurance in Mountain View can take a big chunk out of your bank account and possibly require you to analyze your spending habits. Comparing rate quotes is an excellent way to slash your bill and have more diposable income.
Unthinkable but true, most drivers have remained with the same auto insurance company for a minimum of four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rate quotes at all. Drivers in Mountain View could pocket roughly $469 a year, but they just don't want to save money by comparing rate quotes.
Lots of insurance companies contend to insure your vehicles, so it can be very hard to choose a provider to get the best rate on auto insurance.
Four tips to get lower Mountain View car insurance rates
When buying car insurance it's important to understand the factors that aid in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that may result in lower car insurance prices.
- Rural vs Urban Areas - Being located in a rural area has definite advantages when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. Urban drivers tend to have more aggressive driving styles and longer commutes to work. More time behind the wheel means more chance of being in an accident.
- Avoid policy lapses - Letting your insurance expire can be a quick way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will you pay higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in fines or a revoked license.
- Premiums are affected by your credit rating - Having a bad credit score is likely to be a major factor in determining premium rates. Consumers who have excellent credit scores tend to file fewer claims as compared to drivers with bad credit. Therefore, if your credit is low, you may save money insuring your vehicle by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Annual miles is a factor - The more you drive your car each year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Most companies price each vehicle's coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Autos that do not get driven very much get more affordable rates than those that get driven frequently. It's a smart idea to ensure your policy is showing the correct usage.
The best way we recommend to compare insurance rates in your area is to know the fact most insurance companies will pay a fee to compare rate quotes. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is provide a small amount of information such as if you went to college, an estimate of your credit level, how much you drive, and the make and model of your vehicles. The rating information is submitted instantly to multiple companies and they provide comparison quotes very quickly.
To start a quote now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Mountain View.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit several of them to get the most competitive price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,552||$776||$129|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,854||$927||$155|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$1,272||$636||$106|
|Ford F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$1,588||$794||$132|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,142||$571||$95|
|Ford Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,648||$824||$137|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,028||$514||$86|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,468||$734||$122|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,082||$541||$90|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$1,422||$711||$119|
|Kia Optima EX||$1,486||$743||$124|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,660||$830||$138|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$2,006||$1,003||$167|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,698||$849||$142|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Table data does not factor in vehicle location which can affect prices noticeably.
Where to set your deductibles
One of the most common auto insurance questions is which deductibles should you choose. The rates shown below can help you understand the rate fluctuation between low and high physical damage deductibles. The first rate table uses a $100 deductible and the second price chart uses a $1,000 deductible.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$686||$442||$26||$132||$1,643||$137|
|Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$686||$442||$26||$132||$1,643||$137|
|Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,767||$147|
|Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,767||$147|
|Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$380||$810||$500||$30||$150||$1,895||$158|
|Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$380||$810||$500||$30||$150||$1,895||$158|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$184||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,146||$96|
|Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$184||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,146||$96|
|Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$184||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,210||$101|
|Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$184||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,210||$101|
|Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$210||$426||$500||$30||$150||$1,316||$110|
|Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$210||$426||$500||$30||$150||$1,316||$110|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, and claim-free. Rate information does not factor in zip code location which can increase or decrease prices considerably.
Based on the data above, we can derive that using a $100 deductible costs about $45 more each month or $540 a year than requesting the higher $1,000 deductible. Since you would have to pay $900 more to settle a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you normally average at a minimum 20 months between claims, you would probably come out ahead if you opt for a higher deductible.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The information below examines Nissan Sentra yearly insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The information is based on no accidents or driving violations, $250 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no set rule for excluding full coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's say your Nissan Sentra claim settlement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would receive is $2,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying more than $200 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are a few situations where only buying liability is not advised. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Driving violations and accidents
The diagram below illustrates how speeding tickets and at-fault claims can increase Dodge Ram annual premium costs for each age group. The premiums assume a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Dodge Ram rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Slick advertising tricks that work
Well-known insurance companies like State Farm and Allstate seem to constantly run television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to make an identical promise that you can save if you switch your coverage. How does every company make the same claim? It's all in the numbers.
Companies give the cheapest rates for the type of customer that will be a good risk. One example of a profitable risk profile may be married and over the age of 30, has few claims, and does not commute to work. Any customer who fits those characteristics will get very good Mountain View premium rates and is almost guaranteed to save if they switch.
Consumers who don't measure up to this ideal profile will have to pay higher rates which translates to business going elsewhere. The trick is to say "people who switch" not "all people who quote" will save that much if they switch. This is how insurance companies can confidently make claims like that. This really illustrates why you should compare many company's car insurance rates. It's impossible to know the company that will have the best insurance in Mountain View.
Buying the right vehicle insurance in California is an important decision
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Mountain View, insurance is required in California but also provides important benefits.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, almost all lenders will force you to have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the lender may insure your vehicle at an extremely high rate and require you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance preserves both your vehicle and your assets. It will also cover medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays more than $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies at least once a year to save money.
Cheaper rates with these discounts
Not too many consumers would say insurance is affordable, but you may find discounts that you may not even know about. A few discounts will automatically apply when you complete an application, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for before they will apply. If you don't get every credit you deserve, you're paying more than you need to.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Putting insurance coverage on a new car can save you some money since new vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Air Bag Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts up to 30%.
- Driver's Ed - It's a good idea to have your young drivers participate in a local driver's education class in high school.
- Discount for Swiching Early - Some insurance companies reward drivers for signing up before your current coverage expires. It's a savings of about 10%.
- Life Insurance Discount - Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower insurance rate if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Accident-Free Discounts - Mountain View drivers who stay claim-free are rewarded with significantly better rates on Mountain View car insurance quote in comparison to drivers with a long claim history.
- Seat Belts Save - Drivers who require all occupants to fasten their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off the medical payments premium.
- Responsible Drivers - Insureds without accidents can save as much as half off their rates as compared to drivers with claims.
- No Charge for an Accident - Not a discount per se, but companies like Progressive and Allstate will allow you to have one accident without the usual rate increase as long as you don't have any claims for a set time period.
A quick disclaimer, some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you could get a free insurance policy, you won't be that lucky.
Some of the larger companies who may offer these discounts include:
It's a good idea to ask each company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts listed above might not apply everywhere.
Some insurance companies may not provide online price quotes and these smaller providers only sell through local independent agents. Cheaper car insurance in Mountain View is definitely available from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection.
When getting Mountain View car insurance quotes online, make sure you don't buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
To read more, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Kia Forte in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Dodge Journey in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Homeowners in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 25 in California? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Car Insurance in Irvine, California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry in California? (FAQ)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Self-driving cars won't replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)