There isn't anyone who looks forward to paying for car insurance, particularly when the prices are way too high.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that a large majority of drivers have bought car insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. California drivers could save 35% a year just by shopping around, but they don't believe the amount of savings they would get if they moved their coverage to a different company.
Because you have many choices of insurance companies, it's difficult to find the cheapest insurer.
The are a couple different ways to compare prices from companies that offer car insurance in California. One of the best ways to do a complete rate comparison involves getting comparison quotes online.
It's so fast and easy to compare price quotes online that it makes it a waste of time to spend your day driving to insurance agents' offices. Quoting car insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you want the extra assistance that only an agent can give. However, consumers can get the lowest quotes online but buy from a local Long Beach insurance agent. When comparing car insurance rates, know that quoting more will enable you to find more affordable insurance.
The companies shown below can provide price quotes in California. To locate the best cheap car insurance in CA, we recommend you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Cost estimates assume married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Price information does not factor in specific Long Beach garaging location which can raise or lower prices greatly.
Rate comparison for different deductibles
The illustration below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can affect Ford Fusion insurance rates for each age group. The rate quotes are based on a married male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Lower-cost Long Beach auto insurance rates with discounts
Some companies don't list the entire discount list in a way that's easy to find, so the following is a list of some of the best known as well as the least known credits that may apply to you. If you are not receiving all the discounts you deserve, you could be getting lower rates.
- ABS Brakes - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles have fewer accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a break if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Smart Student Discounts - This discount can save 20 to 25%. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Save with a New Car - Buying a new car model is cheaper because newer models are generally safer.
- No Claims - Claim-free drivers pay less when compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Mature Driver Discount - Older drivers could receive a discount up to 10%.
- Government Employee Discount - Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Memberships - Belonging to certain professional organizations could earn you a nice discount on your next renewal.
- Drive Less and Save - Low mileage vehicles may enable drivers to earn better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
- Telematics Devices - Insureds who allow driving data submission to look at when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle like Allstate's Drivewise could possibly reduce rates as long as the data is positive.
A quick disclaimer, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, it doesn't quite work that way. Any amount of discount will cut the cost of your policy.
A few popular companies and their possible discounts are included below.
- American Family may offer discounts for Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, air bags, defensive driver, and TimeAway discount.
- State Farm discounts include multiple policy, student away at school, driver's education, anti-theft, and good driver.
- 21st Century offers discounts for student driver, defensive driver, air bags, anti-lock brakes, homeowners, and early bird.
- Travelers may include discounts for new car, multi-car, IntelliDrive, early quote, driver training, and multi-policy.
- GEICO offers discounts including emergency military deployment, multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, multi-vehicle, and air bags.
Check with each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. A few discounts might not be offered on policies in every state.
Independent versus exclusive car insurance agents
Some consumers would rather talk to an insurance agent and that is a smart decision A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you may find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Long Beach.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who will give you quotes for your business. You don't have to do any legwork since price quotes are sent directly to you. You'll get the best rates without requiring a lot of work. If you need to get a rate quote from one company in particular, feel free to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Different types of Long Beach auto insurance agents
If you are searching for a local Long Beach insurance agency, it's helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they can quote your rates. Agencies in Long Beach are classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are not required to write business for one company and that enables them to quote your coverage through many different auto insurance companies and find you the best rates. If they find a lower price, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don't have to find a new agent. When comparing rate quotes, it's a good idea to get several quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Featured below are Long Beach independent insurance agents that can give you price quotes.
Agents in the exclusive channel write business for a single company like Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to shop your coverage around so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Long Beach willing to provide comparison quotes.
Picking an insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- What companies can they write with?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
Smart consumers know how to buy auto insurance at a discount
Many factors are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but others are more obscure like where you live or your commute time.
- Get better rates if married - Having a wife or husband helps lower the price on auto insurance. Having a spouse means you're more responsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Your career may increase rates - Careers like military personnel, executives and emergency personnel tend to pay higher average rates in part from intense work-related stress and lengthy work days. On the other hand, occupations such as scientists, athletes and homemakers have lower than average premiums.
- Mature drivers pay less - More experienced drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, are lower risk to insure, and are generally more financially stable.Inexperience drivers are statistically proven to be inattentive and easily distracted when behind the wheel and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Lower deductibles cost more - Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of covered claims are a broken windshield, vandalism, and damage caused by flying debris. Comp and collision deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
Best reasons to buy insurance in California
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in Long Beach, paying for insurance may be required for several reasons.
First, almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a lienholder, it's most likely the lender will require you to buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle for a lot more money and force you to pay for it.
Third, insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your insurance policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly for liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in California is wasting up to $700 annually so compare quotes from several companies at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
Persistent drivers can save
While you're price shopping online, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where someone dropped liability coverage limits and learned later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost while still protecting your assets.
We just presented many tips how you can lower your auto insurance car insurance rates in Long Beach. It's most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Consumers may even find the lowest car insurance rates come from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Some small companies may only write in your state and offer lower premium rates than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
Budget-friendly auto insurance in Long Beach can be purchased online as well as from independent agents in Long Beach, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies do not offer online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
More tips and info about auto insurance is located at these sites:
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Altima? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Active Military in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Auto Insurance Quotes for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Seniors in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for 18 Year Olds in California? (FAQ)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Determining Your Vehicle's Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)