How many times have you said it's time to compare more competitive car insurance rates in Fullerton, CA? If you're looking for more affordable insurance, are you confused by the crazy number of car insurance providers available to you? Lot's of other drivers are too. Consumers have such a vast assortment of providers available that it can quickly become a chore to find a cheaper company. Fullerton is a good city to live in, but high car insurance rates makes it impossible to afford enough coverage.
Remarkably, a study showed that almost 70% of drivers in California kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for a minimum of four years, and nearly the majority have never even compared rates from other companies. With the average premium in the U.S. being $1,847, drivers can save about $859 each year, but they don't want to spend time to shop their coverage around.
If you have coverage now, you will surely be able to cut your premiums using the concepts you're about to learn. Our goal is to teach you the most effective ways to compare rates and also pocket some savings Although California consumers need to have an understanding of how the larger insurance companies determine what you pay and use this information to your advantage.
How car insurance companies determine auto insurance rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that aid in calculating your auto insurance rates. If you have a feel for what determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with better auto insurance rates.
Shown below are most of the major factors companies use to determine rates.
- Lower rates for cars with good safety ratings - Cars with high safety ratings cost less to insure. Safer cars reduce the chance of injuries and fewer injuries means less claims paid and lower rates for you.
- Don't cut corners with liability insurance - Your policy's liability coverage provides coverage if you are responsible for personal injury or accident damage. It provides legal defense coverage to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Younger drivers pay more - Youthful drivers in California tend to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher. More mature drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, file fewer claims, and are generally more financially stable.
- Excellent credit equals lower premiums - Having a bad credit history can be an important factor in your rate calculation. Drivers who have high credit scores tend to be more responsible as compared to drivers with poor credit scores. If your credit leaves room for improvement, you could pay less to insure your vehicle if you improve your credit rating.
- Get cheaper prices if you're married - Having a significant other can actually save you money on your policy. Having a significant other usually means you are more stable financially and insurance companies like that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Vocation and insurance prices - Occupational choices like real estate brokers, business owners and miners tend to have higher rates than the rest of us due to job stress and extremely grueling work hours. Other professions such as actors, historians and homemakers receive lower rates.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing all the rates in your area helps locate a better price.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Fullerton, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD||$1,348||$674||$112|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,238||$619||$103|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$2,226||$1,113||$186|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$1,066||$533||$89|
|Ford F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD||$1,350||$675||$113|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,750||$875||$146|
|Ford Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,506||$753||$126|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,100||$550||$92|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$1,256||$628||$105|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,616||$808||$135|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$952||$476||$79|
|Hyundai Elantra SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,418||$709||$118|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4WD||$1,484||$742||$124|
|Mazda 3 I Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$1,874||$937||$156|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,648||$824||$137|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$1,588||$794||$132|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,568||$784||$131|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,790||$895||$149|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, and claim-free. Table data does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can alter premiums greatly.
How accidents and tickets impact rates
The example below illustrates how speeding tickets and accident claims can drive up Kia Optima auto insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. Data assumes a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in Fullerton, insuring your vehicle may be mandatory for several reasons.
First, just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a lienholder, most lenders will force you to buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your vehicle for a lot more money and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
Third, insurance safeguards your car and your assets. It will also pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle more than cancel out the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. The average driver in America is wasting up to $850 per year so it's important to compare rates at least once a year to save money.
Are you snagging every discount?
Some providers don't necessarily list every discount in a way that's easy to find, so the list below details both the well known and the harder-to-find insurance savings. If you aren't receiving every discount you deserve, you may be paying too high a price.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you have multiple policies with the same company you may save up to 20% and get you the cheapest Fullerton car insurance.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with cheaper prices.
- Own a Home and Save - Being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on insurance because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts could save 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- College Student Discount - Older children who are attending college without a vehicle on campus could get you a discount.
- Good Students Pay Less - Excelling in school may save you up to 25%. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Multi-car Discount - Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars or trucks on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles have fewer accidents and will save you 10% or more.
Discounts lower rates, but some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Despite the appearance that it's possible to get free car insurance, nobody gets a free ride.
To view providers that offer multiple discounts in California, click here.
When to talk to an agent
Some people would rather buy from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is you can get the lowest rates and still have a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, the quote information is transmitted to local insurance agents who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered to your email. You can find better rates AND an agent nearby. If you need to compare prices for a specific company, you can always jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Selecting an insurer requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in California?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
If you're trying to find a local Fullerton insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents and how they operate. Fullerton agents can be categorized as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Agents that elect to be exclusive have only one company to place business with and some examples include State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so always compare other rates. They are well schooled on their company's products which helps them sell on service rather than price. Consumers sometimes use the same agent primarily because of the brand legacy rather than having low rates.
Independent Insurance Agencies
Independent agents can quote rates with many companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your agent finds better pricing, an independent agent can move your coverage and you won't have to switch agencies. When searching for an agent, it's recommended you include price quotes from several independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison. Most have the option of insuring with smaller mutual companies which could offer lower prices.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn't really a cookie cutter policy. Everyone's needs are different and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine whether you could use an agent's help.
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- What is GAP insurance?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my vehicle?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in California?
- If my pet gets injured in an accident are they covered?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Cheap auto insurance premiums are possible
We've covered a lot of ways to save on auto insurance in Fullerton. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Fullerton car insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from an unexpected company. Smaller companies may have significantly lower premium rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
When shopping online for auto insurance, never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later they didn't have enough coverage. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
To learn more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Single Moms in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Rates for Teenagers? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Business Use in California? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)