Paying cheap premium rates for auto insurance could be nearly impossible for people not familiar with online price comparisons. With so many insurance agents and online companies available, it can quickly become a difficult mission to find the lowest price on auto insurance.
Astonishing but true, most auto insurance policyholders in California renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and just short of a majority have never compared rates from other carriers. American insurance shoppers can save up to $850 each year, but they just don't understand the rate savings if they moved their coverage to a different company.
Best companies for California auto insurance
The providers in the list below provide price comparisons in California. To buy cheaper car insurance in California, we suggest you get rates from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LS||$1,348||$674||$112|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$1,514||$757||$126|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$1,290||$645||$108|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$906||$453||$76|
|Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab 2WD||$1,140||$570||$95|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,956||$978||$163|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$1,698||$849||$142|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,486||$743||$124|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$986||$493||$82|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,822||$911||$152|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L||$1,236||$618||$103|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,376||$688||$115|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4WD 4-Dr||$1,400||$700||$117|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,482||$741||$124|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,396||$698||$116|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,672||$836||$139|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in zip code location which can modify coverage prices significantly.
Laguna Beach insurance premiums by gender and age
The diagram below illustrates the difference between car insurance costs for male and female drivers in Laguna Beach. The information is based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no other discounts are factored in on a Toyota Camry SE.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Do you need full coverage?
The chart below illustrates the difference between Ford Fusion premium costs with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The data is based on no violations or accidents, $500 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are factored in.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no clear-cut rule to drop comp and collision coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your Ford Fusion settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, you would only receive $3,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying more than $300 a year for full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some circumstances where dropping physical damage coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to keep full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not buy liability only.
Discount Laguna Beach insurance rates
Car insurance companies don't list all possible discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Laguna Beach car insurance online.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you combine your homeowners and auto policies with one company they may give you a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- One Accident Forgiven - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like Allstate and State Farm will let one accident slide without raising rates so long as you haven't had any claims prior to the accident.
- Defensive Driver - Passing a defensive driver course could possibly earn you a 5% discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Distant College Student Discount - College-age children living away from Laguna Beach attending college and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Senior Discount - If you're over the age of 55, you may be able to get better insurance rates.
- Active Military Service - Having a deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Braking Control Discount - Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control have fewer accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Buying a new car instead of a used car may earn a small discount due to better safety requirements for new vehicles.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- No Claims - Drivers who don't have accidents can earn big discounts in comparison to drivers who are more careless.
You can save money using discounts, but some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like it's possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
If you would like to see a list of insurers who offer insurance discounts in California, click here.
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When quoting and choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether you could use an agent's help.
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my vehicle to commute?
- Is my son or daughter covered when driving my car?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- What is the minimum liability in California?
- Is my trailer covered?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Shop smart and save
As you shop your coverage around, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where an insured cut collision coverage and learned later that the savings was not a smart move. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage at the best cost, but do not skimp to save money.
People switch companies for many reasons like delays in paying claims, poor customer service, not issuing a premium refund or delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn't matter what your reason, switching car insurance companies is actually quite simple.
Lower-priced car insurance in Laguna Beach can be found online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. Some car insurance companies do not provide internet price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers sell through local independent agents.
Even more information can be found at these sites:
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Rates for Handicapped Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Good Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)