Having to pay for overpriced insurance in South San Francisco can sap your funds and possibly require postponing other expenditures. Comparison shopping can save money and help to ensure you are getting the best deal.
A recent survey discovered that over 70% of California drivers kept their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and practically 40% of insurance customers have never even shopped around for affordable coverage. American insurance shoppers can save almost 46.5% each year, but they won't spend time to find affordable rates by getting comparison quotes. Numerous insurers battle for your business, and it can be difficult to compare rates and uncover the absolute lowest rate on insurance.
Components of your auto insurance premiums
Many factors are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. Most are fairly basic like an MVR report, although others are not as apparent like where you live or your vehicle rating.
- Discounts for auto and home policies - Many insurers give discounts for people who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you may still want to check prices from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Rates can be impacted by your job - Occupations like military generals, social workers and financial analysts have higher average rates in part from intense work situations and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, careers like scientists, students and performers get better rates.
- Single drivers take more risk - Getting married may cut your premiums on your car insurance bill. Having a spouse usually means you are less irresponsible it has been statistically shown that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Improve your credit rating and save - A driver's credit history factor in calculating your premium rate. If your credit score leaves room for improvement, you may save money insuring your vehicle by improving your credit score. People with excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible than drivers with poor credit scores.
- Insurance premiums are higher for high performance vehicles - The performance level of the car you need insurance for makes a substantial difference in your rates. Smaller low performance passenger models usually have the lowest premiums, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Raising deductibles saves money - Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay if the claim is covered. Physical damage coverage, also called 'full coverage', is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are colliding with a stationary object, fire damage, or theft of your vehicle. The more of the claim you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Prevent your car from being stolen - Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Theft deterrent systems such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar help track and prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
- Safer cars means cheaper car insurance rates - Vehicles with good safety scores get lower rates. Vehicles built for safety have better occupant injury protection and fewer serious injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and thus lower rates. If your car earned at least an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you may pay a lower rate.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in South San Francisco, CA. To buy the best cheap auto insurance in California, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to find the lowest car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$1,102||$551||$92|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$1,366||$683||$114|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$1,066||$533||$89|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$1,574||$787||$131|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$1,208||$604||$101|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 4WD||$1,462||$731||$122|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,486||$743||$124|
|Ford Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,166||$583||$97|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$1,484||$742||$124|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$2,006||$1,003||$167|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,190||$595||$99|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,428||$714||$119|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$1,512||$756||$126|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,422||$711||$119|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,464||$732||$122|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,626||$813||$136|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,302||$651||$109|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, and claim-free. Rates do not factor in South San Francisco location which can decrease or increase premium rates noticeably.
Auto insurance deductibles
The information below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can influence Nissan Altima annual premium costs for different ages of insureds. Data assumes a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Where to set your deductibles
One frequently asked question is which deductibles should you choose. The following insurance rates illustrate how much more you'll pay of buying low and high insurance deductibles. The first rate quote example uses a $250 physical damage coverage deductible and the second rate table uses a $500 deductible.
Chevrolet Tahoe rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tahoe LS 2WD||$342||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,543||$129|
|Tahoe LS 4WD||$386||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,587||$132|
|Tahoe LT 2WD||$386||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,587||$132|
|Tahoe LT 4WD||$386||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,587||$132|
|Tahoe LTZ 2WD||$386||$678||$442||$26||$132||$1,689||$141|
|Tahoe LTZ 4WD||$386||$678||$442||$26||$132||$1,689||$141|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tahoe LS 2WD||$278||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,342||$112|
|Tahoe LS 4WD||$314||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,378||$115|
|Tahoe LT 2WD||$314||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,378||$115|
|Tahoe LT 4WD||$314||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,378||$115|
|Tahoe LTZ 2WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Tahoe LTZ 4WD||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Premium data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Premium costs do not factor in specific location information which can alter coverage prices greatly.
Using the premium rates above, we can conclude that using a $250 deductible will cost you about $18 more each month or $216 each year than quoting the higher $500 deductible. Because you would pay $250 more out of your own pocket with a $500 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you tend to go at a minimum 14 months between claims, you would come out ahead by selecting a higher deductible.
How to calculate deductible break even period
|Average monthly premium for $250 deductibles:||$135|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||- $117|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$18|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 - $250):||$250|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$250 / $18|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||14 months|
One big caveat is that a higher deductible means you will have to pay more of your own money at claim time. You must have a higher level of savings in order to pay the higher deductible in order to repair your vehicle.
Annual premiums comparing men and women in South San Francisco
The chart below shows the difference between insurance premiums for male and female drivers in South San Francisco. The data assumes no violations or accidents, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied on a Ford Focus SE.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Here's why car insurance is not optional
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance is required in California but also provides important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, almost every bank will require that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle definitely exceed the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is wasting up to $810 a year so compare rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Determine discounts on South San Francisco car insurance
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but companies offer discounts that can help lower your rates. Some trigger automatically when you complete an application, but a few must be asked for prior to getting the savings.
- No Accidents - Drivers with accident-free driving histories get the best car insurance rates in comparison to accident-prone drivers.
- Service Members Pay Less - Having a deployed family member can result in better rates.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers - Insureds without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their South San Francisco auto insurance quote than less cautious drivers.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you combine your auto and homeowners policies and insure them with the same company they may give you a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Telematics Data - Drivers who elect to allow their company to study vehicle usage by installing a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive may get a rate reduction if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Senior Citizen Discount - Older drivers may qualify for a small discount on rates.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying a policy with primary and secondary vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Paperwork-free - A handful of companies will give you a small discount for completing your application on their website.
- Passive Restraints - Cars that have air bags could see savings of more than 20%.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control are safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
One thing to note about discounts is that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business. Any qualifying discounts will definitely reduce your overall premium however.
The best car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good student, Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, passive restraint, safe vehicle, accident-free, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Esurance has discounts for good student, paid-in-full, Switch & Save, safety device, online shopper, and claim free.
- Progressive discounts include homeowner, good student, online signing, multi-policy, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and multi-vehicle.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including good student, hybrid vehicle, exclusive group savings, new move discount, and newly retired.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for teen driver, group or association, student away at school, anti-lock brakes, mature driver, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- GEICO may have discounts that include anti-theft, federal employee, emergency military deployment, defensive driver, and anti-lock brakes.
Check with every company which discounts can lower your rates. A few discounts may not be available everywhere. If you would like to view insurers who offer car insurance discounts in South San Francisco, click here to view.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When it comes to the right insurance coverage, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
These are some specific questions may help you determine whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Will my insurance pay for OEM parts?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- What is an umbrella policy?
If you can't answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Smart consumers save more
We just presented a lot of tips how to shop for auto insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote South San Francisco auto insurance, the better chance you'll have of finding affordable South San Francisco auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the best rates are with a small local company.
As you quote South San Francisco auto insurance, it's a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, someone dropped physical damage coverage only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Budget-conscious auto insurance is definitely available online in addition to many South San Francisco insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some companies don't offer rate quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers sell through local independent agencies.
More detailed auto insurance information is located at these sites:
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Highlander? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Teachers in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Cruze? (FAQ)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)